• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Roadrunner Hood Insulation

Cliff426

Local time
9:09 AM
Reaction score
Any recommendations on who has the most accurate repro hood insulation pad and clips? Thanks in advance.

The most correct molded hood pads are the molded pads manufactured by REM. I cannot vouch for the quality of the pads manufactured by Repops. I have been selling the REM pad for over 10 years. They are nice, but very susceptible to breaking along the edges if handled incorrectly. Some people have an issue saying that they are too thick or not compressible enough to install the clips. I feel that the clips are a major issue. There are at least four different manufactures of the clips. All of them have their issues. I would strongly suggest trying to reuse good originals. If any more details are needed, just drop me a message.
Thanks,
Richard

I've used the REM pads and I agree with 69bfan...I've also recently used their package tray and it too was very well fitting, color was dead-on..The hard part may be finding out which stuff is theirs at any given supplier, I got mine from classic industries but they never tell you what brand the stuff is you're buying(unless it's the OER stuff) I would call your chosen supplier first and see if they'll tell you

The clips are a very real problem.

The repops are either too shallow and can't compress the insulation enough to lock in to the hole or even too small in some cases and just fall out. Could be the hood pads are thicker. Old clips work great. If you can take a little bit of inaccuracy, the plastic clips work really well (like from '70 and up)

I had problems with the original clips too. The pad was too think and stiff for my Coronet. The material is sort of odd. It is a formed material that you can compress and it "crushes". I had to take a rubber roller and roll the pad on a hard surface to "tenderize" the areas around the holes the the material would compress by the clips. If you just push the clips in they tend to cut into the material on the edges of the clips.

My '69 Road Runner doesn't even have an under hood insulation. Was it standard on them? Can't recall if the first one (purchased new) did either. Come to think of it, probably not since it had the Air Grabber.

The Noise Reduction Package was a $16.60 option on the Road Runner. It consisted of the molded hood pad and a complete coating of undercoating on the under side of the car. If the car was optioned with the Air Grabber or Ram Charger hood, then the molded hood pad would be deleted.

Just installed the molded one. The clips are very difficult to deal with and the corners of insulation are very delicate. I did it myself buy it's a little easier if you have a second person hold the insulation pad, just until you get all the corner clips in. I also put the new radiator hood molding on as well...that goes on very easy.

53D8B077-5186-4920-964A-F8F51E6DB5F9.jpeg 409E1FC1-D63D-4623-ABFD-18CEB6D6B599.jpeg A3404B0A-5A48-445F-BBFD-E6BF15499E31.jpeg

Just installed the molded one. The clips are very difficult to deal with and the corners of insulation are very delicate. I did it myself buy it's a little easier if you have a second person hold the insulation pad, just until you get all the corner clips in. I also put the new radiator hood molding on as well...that goes on very easy
If you have the factory clips for the radiator seal clean and use them. The reproductions suck. I have to snap one or two back in evertime I open the hood after a freeway drive.

Car was missing the radiator seal when I got it....hope these clips stay in.

Auto Transport Service
Back