• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Super Bee VIN difference-dash to trunk

FSWSuperBee1969

Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Super Bee I'm working on a basic-street use restoration. It's an M code car which from what I've read and been told means 'special order V-8' and for 69 that meant the 440 6 pack. The original 440 drive train was gone when I got it in 1982. I'm only the third owner and the original owner drag raced it. When I got it, it had a 383, A833, and 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears.

Now my question. The VIN on the dash is: WM23M9A270XXX (I substituted *** for the last 3 digits for security). The trunk stamping is: A9 280XXX. The *** digits match but the previous 3 don't (270 vs. 280). Is this correct? It seems odd one digit would be different.

Like I mention above, I got the car in 1981 (1st car I ever owned and never sold it) and since I've been pulling it apart I can say from the way the dash & windshield are installed, the dash has never been removed nor is there any sign the windshield was replaced or the VIN tag on the dash tampered with prior to me. I know for certain I didn't touch either in the last 35 years. The fender tag was long gone when I got it. Owner 2 stripped the paint to fix up and gave up on it-I bought it in primer.

Any thoughts? Is there a stamping on the radiator support somewhere that I could also check? Where?

Thanks for any help!

You should have this. BTW, people can't do much if anything with your VIN#.

20170512_081406.jpg

I just checked again and found the number on the radiator support. It matches the trunk number so I would think this means the body is all original. Could they have made an error setting up their stamp on the line? I believe I read in another thread this was done by hand. I've held the title since '82 and it matches the dash VIN.

Have you checked the transmission pad on passenger side to see what number is there?

Car have a fender tag?Tag will also have the vin on it.

Long shot since the car has been drag raced....is there a Build Sheet under the rear seat?

Likely a typo. The 270 range fits real well with an A12 Bee. The 280 range does not.

Seeing as the last three *** digits are identical it is a very strong possibility that the made a mistake and used 8 instead of seven, especially seeing as it's only one digit off.

The fender tag was gone when I got it. The previous owner stripped and primed the car to fix it up (when he lost interest) and probably removed it then.

Having been a drag car, the interior had been stripped down and a different color B-body interior put back in to return it to the street so the build sheet is gone too.

When I was young, I had a u-joint come loose and lock up the drive train which broke the bell housing tabs from the trans. I turned in the one (young and foolish) it came with for the rebuilt replacement. I do remember that it had the same number of input splines as the current one which is not a 440/hemi version. The original trans probably went with the 6-pack motor and Dana 60.

Since both the radiator and trunk numbers match, and would have been put in with the same stamp set, I'm thinking our consensus of it being a typo is probably it. I looked at the dash, VIN tag, and windshield closely again after dinner and still don't see any signs of tampering pre-82 when I bought it. I think it's unlikely anyone did any swapping before me because these weren't worth much back then only 13 years old. I only paid $250...

Thanks for all the input!

Most likely typo. I've seen wrong name plates on cars from the factory.

post up a few good clear pics of the firewall
lynch road late 60's b body cars have some distinctive features
that only came from that plant..

This thread is useless without pics. Does the car have the rest of it's A12 stuff? Like leaf springs, hood pin brackets, return fuel line? Does the date on the K frame match up with the car and or A12 build dates? This car could just be a mis-stamp but it could also be a bogus car. Need pics.

I have seen one other A12 with an incorrectly stamped yoke and trunk rail. It is possible. You would need to post some pictures of the car as there are many other indicators that will support or debunk the theory.

D

Auto Transport Service
Back