• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX Shoulder belt

monroegtx

Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
I've been installing the belts recently and I'm a bit unfamiliar with the shoulder belt in these cars. They weren't in it when I got the car so I just want to make sure I've got it right.
I have the shoulder belt coming down from the roof, and the adjustable belt anchored to the tunnel at the back of the console. Is this how they came out? Just seems a bit strangling that's all.
Shoulder belt.jpg Shoulder in clips.jpg

They are not the most comfortable belts by comparison to modern cars. However, they do work.
The strap with a tongue is fixed to the roof as you appear to have done. When not in use, I fold the strap so the tongue is on top and doesn't dangle down as much.
The retractable belt tongue fixes beside the seat.
You will end up with two buckles bolted to the tunnel. When wearing the belts, the retractable clips into the bottom buckle, and the shoulder tongue clips into the upper of the two buckles.

Hope that is not too confusing :icon_wink:

Ahh! so that explains the extra belts that came with the set. So just to confirm, the retractable with the short tongue belt, bolts down beside the seat under the door, and clips to one of the buckles from the tunnel like a lap belt. The shoulder belt comes down and clips into another buckle bolted to the same position on the tunnel. I think I have it now, thanks for the info Kiwi. You rock :headbang: When I got the car it didn't have the rear or shoulder belts fixed in. The only belt attached was a buckle on the inside rear bucket mount, which I knew could not have been right. Thanks again.

You are correct and Kiwi explained it well.
You are doing a great job Monroe, I have been following your build thread closely.

Here's a few shots I took a year or so ago....

The shorter of the two buckles for each side, needs to be mounted on the bottom of each pair bolted to the tunnel.
I'm not saying my rear seat belt configuration is correct, but it works, and is as close as I could get with resources/photos at the time. Only thing I am missing are the two plastic stowage clips that hold the rear buckles - fitted to the bottom of the rear seat bench.

Please be careful cleaning out the threaded holes - using an engineers tap will open the threads too much and likely destroy them. Also make sure to use the correct washers so that all the buckles and straps are able to pivot on their respective bolts.

Hope that helps :icon_thumright:

BTW the car is coming along real nice Monroe....I love that part of a restoration. :headbang:

That's excellent detail Kiwi and much appreciated. That's also a good idea on putting the noise/heat insulation on the trunk separation board. Should kill a lot of rear wheel noise in the cab.

Auto Transport Service
Back