• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Superbird Restoration..................errr.....scratch that........

Just curious why you decided to go with back window detail?
I would assume you mean as opposed to leaving the original 70RR window? Part of my original plan was to build a car that appears to be an authentic superbird in most exterior details. I've seen a couple of bird clones with RR rear windows and they just don't look right. I will have too much invested in this car, both time and money, to take a shotcut and end up with something that just looks wrong.

39170BDB-69B3-49A3-AAE1-FCE81BADD94B_zpsqmfy20wa.png
That's freaking crazy!!!

I would assume you mean as opposed to leaving the original 70RR window? Part of my original plan was to build a car that appears to be an authentic superbird in most exterior details. I've seen a couple of bird clones with RR rear windows and they just don't look right. I will have too much invested in this car, both time and money, to take a shotcut and end up with something that just looks wrong.
It's the Details that matter. Superbirds have a bit more then just a Wing & cone.

Do the originals have that piece over top of the standard structure like you have it?

Do the originals have that piece over top of the standard structure like you have it?
Yes. They have the smaller window "plug" ,as it's called, installed right over the original structure just as I have it. The original Superbird cars were semi finished cars that were taken off the assembly line at the plant and finished at Creative Industries. They installed all of the Superbird specific pieces and finished the conversion from a roadrunner into a Superbird.

The sbird window will also make it go faster.., bet you get an extra 5 mph at 200 at least.

Feel your pain, kind of. I had to do a lot of rear window frame fixing/rebuilding on my stock charger. That aero rear window plug/mod seems to me to be the toughest part of making a sbird or clona,. even if it fit right. I've heard of guys using cut out old Chevy Vega hatches., wonder how that could work/look right tho.
I've seen pix a couple yrs ago of a black Daytona clone that employed a piece of a Vega hatch. Looked correct,,,build itself was very straight looking,,,showed lots of time init.

More time spent fixing this train wreck of a plug.
F0F76B69-FE68-44E0-89CE-68F40879F639_zpszp2x215w.jpg

It would have never fit any car, let alone this one. I've completely deconstructed it and am in the process of reconstruction as it's fit to the car.
A2F8BF6A-F7DD-43F8-AE32-687C4D22B9DC_zpsisceci0q.jpg

It was too wide by quite a bit and the shape was too flat. You can also see the window opening needed tweaking in both corners so the corner pieces would actually get anywhere near the rear window trim.
EBD60440-078B-4CDC-8CBB-6E2F30F6A666_zps2tqrfwa2.jpg
This is Beautiful!

I think you mentioned the window trim earlier,. Is that how you're checking the window channel as you redo it? Or, do you have the glass also and test fitting with it?

I think you mentioned the window trim earlier,. Is that how you're checking the window channel as you redo it? Or, do you have the glass also and test fitting with it?
I don't have the trim or the window. I was checking placement of everything using the fiberglass triangles that go in the lower corners. They align with the trunk gutter, the body line on top of the quarter panel and the rear window trim. Using these, it was easy to determine where the window opening should be in the lower corner area. Since I'm using lexan and making my own trim, it isn't critical that the actual shape perfectly match the factory glass or trim.

I took it over to a buddy's shop to flange the corners. I had scribed them in so we had a guide.
A9F5574C-6B3F-4E5C-9012-7A987371B618_zpsmmxke5wu.jpg

Here's the triangle piece in place. It fits much better now.
DE1E3475-C88E-4081-AD70-C8739FD80634_zpsihzspt3t.jpg

He also lent me his planisher for smoothing some of the areas out on the plug before final weld to the car. I'll also add on the panels and headliner teeth before mounting it permanently.
E17C9CA1-FFA6-4188-AFC9-D2DD37C4EE19_zpsfuv7pfrr.jpg

I don't have the trim or the window. I was checking placement of everything using the fiberglass triangles that go in the lower corners. They align with the trunk gutter, the body line on top of the quarter panel and the rear window trim. Using these, it was easy to determine where the window opening should be in the lower corner area. Since I'm using lexan and making my own trim, it isn't critical that the actual shape perfectly match the factory glass or trim.
Are you using lexan everywhere? I'm thinking about making/cutting or buying a lexan rear glass,. Where's a good place to get a lexan rear window? or some lexan to make it?

Last edited:
Are you using lexan everywhere? I'm thinking about making/cutting or buying a lexan rear glass,. Where's a good place to get a lexan rear window? or some lexan to make it?
I'm buying tinted lexan stock from Optic Armor as noted a couple pages back.

I'm buying tinted lexan stock from Optic Armor as noted a couple pages back.
Ok, I missed that. Neat site/company.. So you'll make all the windows with the Optic Armour? What thickness? What do you cut it with? Sorry for so many questions..

Auto Transport Service
Back