• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Superbird Restoration..................errr.....scratch that........

Ok, I missed that. Neat site/company.. So you'll make all the windows with the Optic Armour? What thickness? What do you cut it with? Sorry for so many questions..
I have an original windshield and side glass so I'll probably just make the rear window from Optic Armor. It'll get cut with a jig saw and will get screwed into place. I had planned on using 3/16" thick stock.

Took a break today to do some pushrod clearancing.
FE2D6F45-C002-4FD4-BE20-3E2EDCC392EF_zpsguz7220q.jpg

AA3FB44C-D232-49EA-9035-E98ED57672AE_zpst9znjjwm.jpg

Folded up the inner panels for the plug and welded them in. I need to trim them around the perimeter of both the window opening and the outside then the headliner teeth will then be installed. Here's how it looks on a finished car...
30CA6B62-9590-4787-933A-ED52C2B4B381_zpsb8tdjeij.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wondered how that all went together on the inside of the plug, headliner, etc. Kinda funny that they left the stock window frame there.. Thanks, great pics as always!

There's not much info out there when building one of these cars, that's for sure.

Car is looking bad to the bone man. Looks like you have left no stone unturned. It's all gonna pay off in the end.

IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
I found them Mike, one has all the clips the other has 2 broke but has 1 of them. They are pretty decent pm me with your info an I will get them to ya.

Using my template, I've been hammering out a lower fender extension. I may end up making and remaking these but I'll get there.....eventually.
Still need to fix the front curve on the fender and extension to match the nose.
50841F5C-FAEA-46D3-B959-F30D37EC62CB_zpsofhudhg4.jpg

Using my template, I've been hammering out a lower fender extension. I may end up making and remaking these but I'll get there.....eventually.
Still need to fix the front curve on the fender and extension to match the nose.

If I might make a suggestion. It looks as if the top fold that creates the lip for connecting the top of the extension to the bottom of the fender is folded too short. I would disconnect the two and let the fender drift out to match the nose and tack it to the nose temporarily the flatten out and re bend the upper lip of the extension at a higher point. Depending on how much material you have on that return lip you may have to add a bit of metal to it after you re brake it in order to have enough metal to make a decent connection. Just a suggestion but seeing how you have solved many other issues with the sheet metal you probably have figured this one out already. By the way your decision to use a lexan back window was a wise one. With all of the work you had to do to re shape the window plug you would have a tough time getting a piece of pre made glass to lay down in that opening or for that matter maybe even fit the opening.
Cheers.
50841F5C-FAEA-46D3-B959-F30D37EC62CB_zpsofhudhg4.jpg

The curve of the fender needs altered a bit. It's too tight of a curve in comparison to the curve of the nose. If I push it out with a brace, it looks like this.

2D633578-4C9B-4B12-9EB5-744B2DF80F6F_zpse2zetbwy.jpg

And everything lines up. I need to remove the fender and take the front curve apart, re-form it and reweld it to hold the corrected arc.

Here's the side view.
4A438E39-0765-4666-9066-9B48DF4D8A04_zpsvkorsqbr.jpg

Some have commented that the extension should turn more vertical at the wheel opening where mine seems to follow the existing line.

Depends on how big a tire your running up front I guess. I like it the way it is.

Depends on how big a tire your running up front I guess. I like it the way it is.
That's the next order of business to figure out. I currently have a 15" front wheel with a 26" front tire. It should end up with a wider than stock front track width. I would like to eventually run a 17" front wheel with a 28" front tire. I definitely need to do some fit up before moving forward.

Progress check
Unfortunately, none. At least on the car anyway. I've been working on engines lately, including the one for this car, but I won't be posting those updates until I get it done and on the dyno. July-ish lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back