• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner 315/35/17s FIT!!

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:11 PM
Reaction score
I bought 8s and 9s from Classic Industries, 17" diameter Rally style. I had a pair of Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials mounted and balanced on the rear 9s. 315/35/17s they fit (easily IMO) between the leaf springs and fenderwells. Just over 1" of clearance to the chrome wheel well trim and at least an inch or more between the springs and tire. More precise measurements and pix will follow, but I am very happy. All stock body and suspension, only the wheels are aftermarket.
20160925_165129.jpg
20160925_162946.jpg
20160925_163018.jpg

20160926_092315.jpg
Stock 15" Rallye front, New 9x17 rear. For comparison. I think they really got them right!

Thank you and thanks for the reply. I ordered Toyo Proxes4 235/45/17 for the front 8s today, so by Wednesday or Thursday I will have all new tires and wheels on the Roadrunner. Crusin the Coast runs from Oct 1st through the 8th, and that's the one vacation my wife and I take in a year. Pistons going in her 421 today, so her GTO should be ready by Saturday or early next week. CtC is a week long event, but the 2nd half of the week is when it really starts rollin' culminating in the 2nd Saturday being the BIG day.

FedEx has my front tires at the distribution center near me. So much still to do for Crusin the Coast. I asked them to hold them for pickup so I don't have to wait for the truck to deliver them...
While I would like the appearance of a taller sidewall on the rear tires, I think the "35" profile is a big part of why the rears fit without fear of contacting my inner wheel well. I can see the top part of the inner rear fenderwell has a curve to it. What was a priority in getting the widest drag radial that I could on my new wheels was TRACTION. The only track day I had was last November, and traction in 1st gear at any speed at WOT was non-existent, and I "feathered" the throttle on numerous runs, but every time I floored it in first my old tires would spin. I am very excited to try out these Proxes TQ drag radials on the street and strip. More pix to follow.

225/45/17s is what I ordered. I was concerned that they clear the front fender corners. They fit fine and look good. Finally have all 4 Classic Industries aluminum Rally wheels on the Roadrunner and they look great. Purple Mohawk done today, now just need to get the GTO motor finished in the engine builder's shop and get that motor and her transmission back in the GTO, and my a833 back in my car...by Monday at the latest.

Last edited:
Front 8" is 4 1/2" backspace.
Rear 9" is 5" backspace.
http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/*r4453.html
Can you imagine the "Car Magazine" road test 1/4 mile times if the factory would have put these on the cars? The rear wheels and 315/35/17s Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials fit like they could have been factory!
I couldn't find a taller profile with the same diameter (17") and width. Know of any drag slicks or drag radials with a taller sidewall and the same width?
They worked great at the track. I took 6/10ths off my times from a year before, and much of that had to do with the grip.

They look great. IMHO these cars need bigger wheels but that usually translates to bling, which seldom works. Yours fill out the wheels with a nod to period correct, well done.

That Lemon Twist with the black vinyl roof is an awesome combination !
Thanks.
I definitely prefer the black vinyl top look with black stripes and lemon twist. Looks good on red (red not orange) too. 2 friends of mine have 70 Roadrunners in the other 2 high impact colors, sublime green and vitamin C, and they look nice with hardtops, but I am partial to my combo.

Thanks.
I definitely prefer the black vinyl top look with black stripes and lemon twist. Looks good on red (red not orange) too. 2 friends of mine have 70 Roadrunners in the other 2 high impact colors, sublime green and vitamin C, and they look nice with hardtops, but I am partial to my combo.

Totally agree, the black top is very sharp with the lemon twist. I think that the white top goes better with the in-violet though.
b42d_3.JPG

Totally agree, the black top is very sharp with the lemon twist. I think that the white top goes better with the in-violet though.
View attachment 396186
I beg to differ....:p
View attachment 396189

Verynice car @biomedtechguy :thumbsup: ...and yours ain't bad either @NJRR :lol:
They BOTH look AMAZING! InViolet is my 2nd favorite color! Lol. Seriously, the white top w/white interior on a Roadrunner is the way to go while the GTX with the black "rear panel" makes black top and interior the best combo for a GTX, all IMO, of course. Thanks!

They BOTH look AMAZING! InViolet is my 2nd favorite color! Lol. Seriously, the white top w/white interior on a Roadrunner is the way to go while the GTX with the black "rear panel" makes black top and interior the best combo for a GTX, all IMO, of course. Thanks!

I think we all agree.... MOPARS RULE !!!!!:thumbsup:

I saw a Rally Red 70 GTX on the road back in the 80s with a black vinyl top and black interior that was a stunning color combo. The GTX side scoop badges really stood out against that red paint too.

Auto Transport Service
Back