• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71-4 Quarter patch options?

Tropical area. Rainy and dry seasons. Yes, some humidity thought depending on the area. Something similar to Louisiana, Alabama and Florida, some other areas maybe like Texas and some others like Georgia.

Last edited:
They really need to make the full OE quarters already. A lot of the SEs have rot around the quarter windows and they are ALL rotted on the bottom. Probably the last big Mopar worth buying that can still be had at a reasonable price but no aftermarket to support them.

We also need roof skins! All 71-4's have the same roof, with the exception of sunroof cars. 4 door sedans might be different. Full quarters are available for the 71-2 Chargers and 71-2 Roadrunners.

AMD is starting to make 71-4 Charger rallye hoods and air-grabber hoods .... I have contacted them, and if these sell well they're gonna really consider decklids, quarters for 73-4 cars, maybe plymouth hoods and decklids too. Basically if they sell enough Charger hoods, expect to see more 3rd gen Charger parts. BUY HOODS! I'm gonna get 2, one for the SE , and my hardtop.

Back to the topic of sheetmetal patches, I really don't like making homeade patches. Using stamped factoy or re-pop parts ends up with a better outcome, imo. Thanks for the info on the drain holes I never noticed that before.

Honestly... if the area to patch is just right below the body line, I wouldn't buy a molded piece, but simply a home made patch will make perfectly the job. No molded areas there more that just the curved on wheel opening, easy to make. Check the thread I posted from dodgecharger.com making exactly the same section it seems you'll be needing.

I can be agreed on get a molded piece going up to half of the quarter skin, but not below the lower body line. But of course that's just a personal opinion.

The inner rocker area pics from my car still needed to be polished on some areas. The primer on it was just to protect the area, but of course the welding seam wasn't finished yet

I even made locally the quarter panel skins locally ( using a NOS piece I got loooong time ago on ebay at US$250 as a sample )

https://postimg.org/gallery/1b8mhzcx8/

Last edited:
They were going to make fenders IIRC about 5 years ago but did not due to lack of interest. I can't imagine why, as nearly all the ones I've seen are either dented on the tips or rusted on the top above the headlights, or both.

73/74 owners are not toward to spent so much money like 2nd gen owners being these late Chargers are not a "profit" somehow to big investments to be rebuilt. And thinking on the repro Mopar parts are 50 to 80% over any Phord and Chebby repor parts, even worst.

I bet you, if Mopar repro parts were really affordable, more customers will be in to the repro market for these

Found the pic of all the rocker inner area cut.

Must to say this area was already “salvaged” by a previous body job by another guy who didn’t care about correctness. So we were rebuilding over a badly made previous area. So the sheetmetal made was based on the pics I posted previouslly and not on the actual piece on car.

My car has being a victim job after job of a bad bodymen who never take care of correctness and allways was needing a new fix on that area. Never took care of drains so the rust appeared once and again every 3 years or so. Every time, cuting a larger piece. Up to now, get allmost a full skin. When I bought it, maybe needed a patch quite similar ( bit larger maybe ) than actually your car

It is posible and not really hard to do. Mostly sure you won’t need to get that far, bu just showing that going THAT far is posible, on an easier job even more
847E5FAC-EFC3-4D69-B8FB-5BF0EB40B993.jpeg

Last edited:
73/74 owners are not toward to spent so much money like 2nd gen owners being these late Chargers are not a "profit" somehow to big investments to be rebuilt.

All depends on what is being reproduced. I think people will buy sheetmetal, but won't pay outrageous prices for things that are commonly available, like the grill shells. We DO need the soft parts, like the headlight fillers.

Camaro grilles are also available on used market but repro pieces are affordable so ppl run to new repro parts... this make used parts even cheaper.

of course I know the qty of Charger made is not quite close to Camaros... but still the diff on repro parts prices is TOO MUCH

It's the cart before the horse. Who is going to hang $1300 reproduction grilles on a car with bad quarters and a bad roof skin, and no easy way to fix it? The aftermarket is shooting itself in the foot - without the parts to fix the "bones" on these cars, the values stay depressed and they can't sell the jewelry.

If I was going to buy another mopar tomorrow, I would only be looking at a body style with good aftermarket support - meaning it wouldn't be a 73/74 b-body.

Last edited:
It's the cart before the horse. Who is going to hang $1300 reproduction grilles on a car with bad quarters and a bad roof skin, and no easy way to fix it? The aftermarket is shooting itself in the foot - without the parts to fix the "bones" on these cars, the values stay depressed and they can't sell the jewelry.

If I was going to buy another mopar tomorrow, I would only be looking at a body style with good aftermarket support - meaning it wouldn't be a 73/74 b-body.

you are welcomed to be part of this rant...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/149414152185365/

LOL

I would only be looking at a body style with good aftermarket support - meaning it wouldn't be a 73/74 b-body.
Unfortunately, not all of us are retired old men with expendable funds. I've got a 73, because everything else costs damn near 10k for a rusty shell (I'm looking at you, 2nd gens). I was able to buy my car for $500 bucks in 2015 - it's not very rusty, but was driven hard. I honestly don't care how much money I dump into the car. It's mine and I never plan to sell it. IF you were to ask me, the 73-4 hardtop Chargers are a better looking car than the 71-2's. Continuing unbroken bodylines and a quarter window shape that doesn't hurt the eyes. Of course the stick-out bumpers are ugly .... but easy to tuck and unbolt the "bumperettes". I would almost hesitate to buy a 1969 Charger now because it's overdone. Every car show I go to has a line of 57 chevies, 66 mustangs, 69 camaros, and now a bunch of 69 chargers. Not really exciting anymore. That might just be because I like oddball cars.

Unfortunately, not all of us are retired old men with expendable funds. I've got a 73, because everything else costs damn near 10k for a rusty shell (I'm looking at you, 2nd gens). I was able to buy my car for $500 bucks in 2015 - it's not very rusty, but was driven hard. I honestly don't care how much money I dump into the car. It's mine and I never plan to sell it. IF you were to ask me, the 73-4 hardtop Chargers are a better looking car than the 71-2's. Continuing unbroken bodylines and a quarter window shape that doesn't hurt the eyes. Of course the stick-out bumpers are ugly .... but easy to tuck and unbolt the "bumperettes". I would almost hesitate to buy a 1969 Charger now because it's overdone. Every car show I go to has a line of 57 chevies, 66 mustangs, 69 camaros, and now a bunch of 69 chargers. Not really exciting anymore. That might just be because I like oddball cars.

No complaints from me, I've always like the 73/74 hardtops. The 71 roof line can look killer with the right options (paint, vinyl, etc.), but it can look funky, too. I just don't have the time to scour internet boards and drive extended distances for parts anymore. Meanwhile, the car sits and waits.

71/72s didn't get enough parts either. Quarters ( when in stock ) and some rear extensions/fillers more available... soooooo

Auto Transport Service
Back