• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 RR Clone... and so it begins...

Tori

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
Well here we are.... the eagle has landed.
IMG_5117.JPG

Some of you have a heads up on this from the Welcome Wagon thread section but....

Today I took delivery of my 71 Satty clone. She is wonderful ! Full of history, life, and patina out the *** ! :)
(how fitting she arrived with a new Power Wagon leading the way !)

Found the car on CL a couple weeks ago in WI. I'm in CA. and would have driven her home if the owner didn't advise against it. LOL .... Struck the deal, and patiently awaited delivery.

I've been a long time lover of this body, and saw my first one at age 11 or so and while i've collected other cars, and had other love affairs, it was time to get me one of my own.

I'm not a stickler for #'s matching as i'm not in this for the resale. I own cars for what they can do for me physically, and mentally. Not monetarily. (and to be honest, one thing that's always been off-putting to me were Mopar owners who walk around reading and judging VIN tags, scoffing at how a car was originally a different color, etc. I half want to make a phony tag just to mess with those guys :) )

Anyway, i've been looking for the right car for several months fairly consistently, and off and on over past years when the mood struck. When i saw this car, i fell in love. I absolutely love the shagged look of her. She wreaks of 70's muscle, with an originality that only 20 years of Mother Nature could produce.

Plans for her, well that just depends on how the next few months go. Cosmetically, i want to leave the car alone.
I want to go thru the drivetrain, and make the interior (which is already pretty nice, much nicer than the exterior!) presentable.
Initially, my dreams would be to swap in a modern 5spd. - probably an NV3500. If the 318 doesn't pan out that it currently has, then i'd maybe go with a Magnum 360, or 5.7 Hemi.
So far the engine seems fine. Fires at a blip of the key, and aside from an exhaust leak at the header, sounds great. Very responsive, and has a nice lopey idle. Previous owner was told it had a mild cam. - i'd believe this from how it sounds.

I feel like it should have front disc brakes, so will probably do that swap. I'll go thru the steering components, and suspension to make it as tight as it should be, and want to tidy up the messy wiring and under hood.

I am a total Mopar newb, and would love to have you guys pick this girl apart so i know where i am exactly with it.
It clearly has a non correct rear axle, but from what i can see, is probably leaps and bounds better than the stock 7.75 it would have started life with. I haven't researched this yet, but i'd guess this to be a Chrysler Dana axle ? Maybe a 9.25 ? What are your opinions on that ?
IMG_5124.JPG

Here are some underhood shots, feel free to let me know what you see to be incorrect as i'd like to get the engine bay as it should be. I popped the dist. cap off, and it has an electronic dist. Should have been points i would imagine aye ?

IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5123.JPG

I have a million more questions, but this is getting long enough....

Thanks for the help guys, this is going to be so much fun !

Last edited:
very cool , love 3rd gens. please say your going to keep the rear spoiler :thumbsup:
hate to say it but I'm one of "those " guys that look at fender tags :lol: what can I say I am what I am
some help with the diff id
Mopar_rear_id.jpg

Question 1: I feel that ridiculous, tiny air cleaner is too small, plus it looks dumb. I'd like to put the proper 340 style air cleaner housing on. Will it fit this aftermarket AFB ? and will it clear the hood with the Edelbrock intake ? (It is not the Air Gap manifold)

Anyone have a pic of the correct '71 RR air cleaner housing ?

Thanks Poly, looks like i was right. 9.25" it is. I would assume this is plenty beefy for a built 318 and maybe more ? Hope it's a posi !

BTW, what is "poly" i've seen that term here a few times now.

look like a 9.25 to me to ,plenty beefy :thumbsup: ist pic might be an a body I think but was in my 340 reference pics
340-engine.jpg
1971-Plymouth-Road-Runner-17.jpg

Question 2: The car has 14" wheels. I'm satisfied with the stance and look of the wheel package, that leaves me with jack squat for rear tire choices. 245-60-14 BFG is the only tire, and $150 each.

I would assume swapping to 15" would open up the options ?

Believe it or not, that is how i want the engine compartment to look on this car. I'd love to pop the hood and shock the **** outta someone when they see it. LOL I know, i'm twisted. ;)

So what is the difference between those two air cleaners. I see one has a snorkle.

yes way more and the fill the wheel wells a little better , 15 x7 and 15 x 8 cragers with 265 and 225 t/a's
2.jpg

I like that look. Cragars all the way. Mine are Keystones, which IMO are good enough for now.

First order of business was chemical crankcase cleaning, then an oil change, and to install a new fuel filter so i could get an idea of how dirty the fuel tank is. This car has sat for "a long time" according to the previous owner. So i take that as it'll probably need a new tank. We'll see what the filter collects.

Tomorrow we go to DMV to register it and get some plates so i can drive it ! Wish me luck.

IMG_5129.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on the new car! :)

I had 14" wheels when I bought mine, and appearance/originality just has to give way to reality - which is there's not many 14" tires anymore. I like the ***-high 70's look, so I kept the 14" Rallyes on the front and put 15" on the back. I toyed with the idea of getting some 16" ones from Year One, but finding 16" tires with raised-white letters is impossible and I've never thought these cars look right without those letters. :)

As for patina... to me there's no glory to it. "Patina" is always a result of neglect. A well-cared for car does not have patina, it has great looking paint, and using "patina" is a polite way of saying "my car looks like crap". As I've written before, I wouldn't like seeing my best gal walking around looking like crap, so why would I want my best car going around looking like I'm neglecting it? I want both of them to shine!

As for engines, I've put 440s into every Roadrunner I've owned (eight all together). Yeah, there are Hemis that are faster, use EFI, and run better, but they don't have the panache and appeal of a good torquey 440. Plus, I know too many guys who've lost a ton of $$$ doing incremental engine rebuilds/upgrades. They drop a ton of cash into an engine, then a year or so later want to upgrade and lose about 60-80% of what they dropped into the earlier engine. Better to go all-in at the start, and since a 440 is usually where most folks end up, I would go straight to that.

If you decide to keep the 14s, here's what it would look like. Didn't have money for 15s and barely had enough for new rear 14 BFGs.

IMG_0030.JPG

Congratulations! I had a '72 Satellite that I made into a RR/GTX clone without the badging. That 2nd gen body style grew on me over the years.
6-9-12.jpg

RTMan, so are these years 71-74 considered 2nd gen ?

Great looking car btw. Dig the stock, ground pounder look !

...As for patina... to me there's no glory to it. "Patina" is always a result of neglect. A well-cared for car does not have patina, it has great looking paint, and using "patina" is a polite way of saying "my car looks like crap". As I've written before, I wouldn't like seeing my best gal walking around looking like crap, so why would I want my best car going around looking like I'm neglecting it? I want both of them to shine!

I see your point, but "patina" does not have to mean not cared for. Dull, crappy paint has little effect on anything but appearance. It may look like crap by societies standards of beauty, but not in my eye. I realize it looks like crap to some, but i really like it and so do many others.
BTW, this isn't my best car. That would be either my '87 Buick Grand National, or the '87 Porsche 911. Both restored and cherry. :)

As for engines, I've put 440s into every Roadrunner I've owned (eight all together). Yeah, there are Hemis that are faster, use EFI, and run better, but they don't have the panache and appeal of a good torquey 440. Plus, I know too many guys who've lost a ton of $$$ doing incremental engine rebuilds/upgrades. They drop a ton of cash into an engine, then a year or so later want to upgrade and lose about 60-80% of what they dropped into the earlier engine. Better to go all-in at the start, and since a 440 is usually where most folks end up, I would go straight to that.

Wish you were closer, i'd love to experience a 440. I'm not against going BB, just have really no experience with them.

Took the maiden voyage today... drove her about 26 miles round trip to the DMV to get it registered. Was running warm the whole way... got up to about 210* for a few minutes at one point. Will have to look into that. Hopefully some jackhole has left the thermostat out thinking he was "helping" I'll look into that tonite.

Anyway, she's all legit, in my name and registered !!! Whoop !

BTW, drivers door won't open. Any common failure i should know about ? I can see the linkage is still connected, just doesn't seem to actuate the latch.

Auto Transport Service
Back