• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 RR Clone... and so it begins...

not bad idea about the foil on tail ligts... IF PROPPERLY INSTALLED

Have a question... why a RR clone and not GTX ?...

It seems to be a nice car to work with it

Have a question... why a RR clone and not GTX ?...

It seems to be a nice car to work with it

Honestly never thought about it. But I guess because this is the way the car came to me. And, I don't really know the difference between GTX and RR
I'm fine with RR though. Little more "believable" this way.

71_Satellite_5.jpg

Man! Now that's an answer. :) excellent page. Thank you. This is the correct one for my car. How much should I offer for it?

Depends on what actually came with your car as per the VIN. I wouldn't "offer" nothing for it. Make your friend start with what he wants and go from there, making him start the bidding

Depends on what actually came with your car as per the VIN.

Remember, i'm a faker. So my VIN doesn't matter at this point. But assuming it was a correct '71 RR, I'd like to have the correct goodies on board.

As for the price, i think he'll give me a fair shake, but i don't really know what "too much" would be on one in this condition. It'll need complete resto, and a new pie pan.

Turns out the ole' girl has a posi ! and from what i could count, 4.10 gears (or whatever is close to that in a 9.25" rear)

Cool! If it didn't have a posi, look into a tru-track

I always wanted 4.10 gears when I was younger, but back then I was solely focused on running light to light and spending little time out on the highway. Now that I spend more and more time doing highway driving, 4.10 gears would be a killer for me. 3.23 or 3.55 is the way to go now.

I won't argue that these 4.10 gears are mostly useless, but it's what i've got at the moment..... AND, they are fun ! :D

Time for a little update on the Ratty Satty.

New radiator is in, fan shroud arrives tomorrow. Posi isn't working as she's hell on one tire. LOL I'll have to pull the cover off here in the next few weeks and see what up back there.
Steering column is back together, new lock cylinder and T/S switch. Refinished the wood steering wheel while it was off too.

I've cleaned up the under hood a tad, swapped on a different carb - Edelbrock 1406 and acquired the correct linkage adapter. Running okay, but not perfect. The cam is either huge or there is valve train issues. It only creates about 5.5" of vacuum at idle. (good thing it's manual brakes ;) )
I've done a compression test, and the numbers are not good. Best was only 105, and a few @80. Seems to run fairly strong for those poor numbers, so i'm not real sure about the results.

New water pump, cleaned up some hoses, and clamps. Replaced the goofy Ford Aerostar ignition coil with a proper type and style.

Oh, and also got the drivers door open finally. No more Bo Duke window action. ;D

I think that's the main items so far. I've drive it quite a bit around town and really enjoying working on it and driving it.

Are you using a phenolic spacer or a gasket under the carb? Edelbrock carbs are notorious for heat issues, and a phenolic spacer is highly recommended. The down side is they can cause vacuum leaks, so make sure the carb is tightened down.

I am not. I'll keep an eye out for hot start issues. Thanks for the heads up.

I just had to dump my Edelbrock. My suspicion is they use brass floats with brass arms, and the heat warps those arms over time, which causes the height of the float to change. In one year, I had to take the thing apart and readjust the floats four times and still had issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back