• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Charger Build Log

Mopar switched to a A-Body flange in '74.

WOW!!! allways have known the 74 is diff from earliers but NEVER KNEW they came out from A bodies!! GOOD TO KNOW! because now I know where I can get the the paint gasket for it ( and some other part if required... plenty of A bodies around )

WOW!!! allways have known the 74 is diff from earliers but NEVER KNEW they came out from A bodies!! GOOD TO KNOW! because now I know where I can get the the paint gasket for it ( and some other part if required... plenty of A bodies around )

Yup. I switched over to the 73 flange but now the coupler shield is smacking the brake booster. Son of a diddly. I get to play with that mess this week. Hopely removing the shield solves the issue. I can tell you thing for sure, those coupler screw heads and 40 year old lock nuts are a pain in the *** to work with!! If I have to take it off, I'm replacing it with taper head bolts and modern lock nuts.

The good news is I'm taking all week off to work on it. Maybe, just maybe, with some luck I'll be posting a first start video next weekend! Well that's the goal.

Got the Charger home on Saturday. Still needs a list of parts and work before it's read for the road.
20170527_155842.jpg
20170530_112756.jpg
20170530_112725.jpg

Last edited:
The cars still needs:

• Carburetor hard fuel line
  • Front to rear brake line
  • Transmission lever
  • Quieter Mufflers (The neighbor called the cops on Monday for noise. I was just driving it around the neighborhood, lol!) I'm thinking about either a pair of SUM-638253 2 chamber or adding glass packs beside the gas tank.
  • Vinyl top installed
  • And work out the electrical issues.
  • Seat covers
  • AC and heater lines, blower fan, etc

Very nice!!!

Just curious are you putting the OEM roof trim and opera windows on after you install the vinyl top. Or are you going to do a custom approach?

Very nice!!!

Just curious are you putting the OEM roof trim and opera windows on after you install the vinyl top. Or are you going to do a custom approach?

Thanks! The correct cobra grain vinyl top is sitting on the car waiting to be installed. I'm debating on paying on someone to do it or trying to do it myself.

Installed the vinyl top today. I set the car outside around 10am then let it bake in the sun most of the day while I worked on small things here and there. I would rub out the wrinkles every hour or so. Damn top got so hot I thought I would need gloves handle it! I then move the car inside to install the top. My wife and I spent about 3 hours installing it. The top went on very easy with no major issue.

20170528_104924.jpg 20170603_192416.jpg

BTW, What do you guys think of the wheels? I bought them with the car back in '95. Not sure if I want to change them. I can't picture "MY CAR" with anything else.

BTW, What do you guys think of the wheels? I bought them with the car back in '95. Not sure if I want to change them. I can't picture "MY CAR" with anything else.

Can't go wrong with Cragar SS/Ts on a '73 SE triple black. This pic is the closest I could come up representing Cragar SS/Ts on a 73 SE triple black. Notice the '72 grilles ugh!!! I like '72 grilles, just not on a 73. And the silly side pipes. But those Cragars look good on there IMO. Not mine, random internet pic from about 15 years ago.

But it's your car, if you're set with those rims then stick with it. I like them but like the Cragars better.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1973 Dodge Charger SE[1]¢b.jpg

I like Keystones myself if you are keeping 14 or 15 and don't thinking on Rallyes.

Another 15s could be the AR CP200

If upgrading to bigger wheel, my fav ones are these centerlines in 17 ( wheel catalog is not uploading from the website. I think is 915 model ). They are from the vintage line

137-3796_IMGJPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

They are something like a Keystone upgrade

Also likes the 17" versions of the Rallye from YR1, but maybe not on a 73/74 SE

Auto Transport Service
Back