• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger SE U code factory sun roof

mguner

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
I was told that there were just over 700 U code 73 SE Chargers made. If that is true can anyone tell me how many of those would be with the sun roof option? I have a basket case roller I'm trying to decide what to do with...

Well I can't give you an exact figure just due to lack of info on these later B-Bodies, but I think I can give a very rough guesstimate. Now in 1973, 414 Roadrunners had sunroofs. (I know its not a Charger but bear with my warped thinking here) Now if we take that 414 divided by the 15928 RR's produced that year, I come out with 2.6% of cars had the option for Roadrunners. Now since Charger SE's were more upscale, and their buyers probably had more coinage to spend I'll bump that number up a bit.
At 2.6% 18 cars.
At 5.0% 35 cars
At 7.5% 53 cars
Now just my humble opinion, but as long as the car isn't too far gone, I would say it is worth saving because its a U code and it has a sunroof. Besides with the endless number of combinations as far as options go, it would be a fairly safe bet to say you are a 1 of 1. :hello2:

They are pretty rare. Years ago I had one. It was FE-5 with a white vinyl top. Here are a few pictures of it.

- - - Updated - - -

006.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If you look close along the roof line you can see the top is open in the first picture.

- - - Updated - - -

004.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the same car parked next to my old 72 Rally Challenger.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some more pictures of it somewhere, but I will have to dig them out. I still have the engine from it.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5828.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I still had the car.........................

what happened to the car?
or should i even ask..

I'm no expert on these sunroof cars but there very rare. I'm told by and searching a lot online that there was roughly 114 sunroof chargers in 74 ,73 was supposed to be a little higher at 140 ish now your also adding a u code into the mix witch is rare in its own right . If the car is salvageable I would save it but.....there not worth much of anything (yet) this style car still isn't bringing the big bucks yet even being a u code sunroof car I would say restored nice $17 k on a good day but you never know they might jump up in value soon or someone might really want it so it's hard to say ,I have a factory black 74 s.e. sunroof car in very good shape it has almost every option but a upgrade motor (318) so I'm I'm going to make it as my wife wants it and have fun with it if the value change before I restore it I'll think a little harder on leaving it alone ,
So what I'm trying to say is make it how you want it color interior color it won't affect the value to much but yes it's rare but as always rare doesn't mean valuable (witch is sad because these are very cool cars) post some pictures of it and any ? Feel free to p.m. me and ask away I'm here to help .Here's a few of my charger sunroof .
Good luck
00r0r_dJe6W2gh1Wl_600x450.jpg00T0T_4Ec96XaIyxT_600x450.jpg00I0I_32IIF0AskNv_600x450.jpg1026141435a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'll add this is my second sunroof car the first was a 73 gray charger with a black vinyl top white interior and a 400 4 barrel duel exhaust broham interior also very cool car I'll try to dig a pic or two up (before digital camera s )

Last edited:
If you want the car than build it. You have to know that you'll never see your investment back in dollars. BUT you will most definitely get it back ten-fold when you are running it down the highway/ racetrack. I personally would build it if the funds are there. Good luck!

My 74 sunroof car was also loaded but a 318. Sadly it had a rotten frame rail, cowl, and needed both quarters and fenders.

I was noticing when I had it that there seemed to be a lot of 74 sunroof cars vs the 71 through 73.

I don't know the exact numbers but I know 71-72 the numbers were not many it was still about h p. I think it was about 40-50 each year 73 was the most made believe it or not I do know that and then 74 not to far behind it . The only thing I can think of why theres more 74's left Is they were prity much a older persons car kids didn't want them so because most of them were 318's they survived better (maybe that's just my thought) in 73 a big block was still common. I may have saved the sites on my old computer ill look to see if I have it so I can share

I was told that there were just over 700 U code 73 SE Chargers made. If that is true can anyone tell me how many of those would be with the sun roof option? I have a basket case roller I'm trying to decide what to do with...

Do you still have this car

The proper answer is "there is no way to know or determine how many cars came equipped that way". You cannot cross reference two options and come up with a number. Any attempt to do so is simply guessing.

The accurate answer is " not a lot".

Purchased this 74 SE Triple white, sun-roof, 400 magnum, bucket seats, AC, electric windows, with 8.75 surg-grip rear end in 1988 for $400.
Rebuilt engine years ago to a 400 stroker 10:1 compression with 3" TTI X-pipe exhaust. Currently restoring the charger but its going slow, just too many projects.

IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0888.JPG

Is that a Jade interior?

Purchased this 74 SE Triple white, sun-roof, 400 magnum, bucket seats, AC, electric windows, with 8.75 surg-grip rear end in 1988 for $400.
Rebuilt engine years ago to a 400 stroker 10:1 compression with 3" TTI X-pipe exhaust. Currently restoring the charger but its going slow, just too many projects.

View attachment 441301 View attachment 441302

Is it for sale

74 charger is a factory white exterior, white vinyl top and white bucket seats. Not currently for sale. but I may sale in next year when its complete.

Hi Mguner, I wonder if Scott Rudge would have information on how many Ucode Chargers were built.He is putting together a Mopar sunroof registry. I have his Email if your interested in contacting him. You may need to PM me because I'm not sure if we are suppose to post Email addresses on the threads. BTW I have a 73 SE that use to have a 400. I replaced the 400 for a crate 493 six pac shaker hood. I posted pictures in the Lets see a show1971-1974. I'm not sure what page or if it was before the shaker hood was put in.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back