• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Charger SE vinyl roof

'68 Charger

Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
Here's the somewhat rare 1973 Charger SE with the no cost optional halo roof treatment. Most 1973/74 Charger SEs came standard with the louvered quarter windows.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6192446321.html

00202_1dcqL60qcTj_600x450.jpg 00S0S_3BRgRR3e29s_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_3sX8XDRWPrN_600x450.jpg

Yes, I had posted in another thread I'd never actually seen one in person. There are a few out there. And I believe it was only an option in 73. 74 was replaced by the stationary quarter window with no louver and full vinyl roof called Opera window.
74charger1.jpg

ODZ- that pic you posted is the "spring special" roof.

Yes! SE with halo top and roll down quarter glass is a 73 only option

The quarter fixed glass without louvers and full vinyl top ( not halo ) is just 74 option, M07 code on tag and mostly found ( but not exclusive ) on Spring Specials

ODZ- that pic you posted is the "spring special" roof.

Mostly found on them but not exclusive. You could get Spring Specials with hardtop setup, and is in fact the base setup. Opera window as option. Pic posted is aparently one of the SS cars optioned with it, by the rallye strip and the visible interior parts

And you could get the opera window on non Special Spring cars too

The M07 code is the deal on this finish

Yes! SE with halo top and roll down quarter glass is a 73 only option

The quarter fixed glass without louvers and full vinyl top ( not halo ) is just 74 option, M07 code on tag and mostly found ( but not exclusive ) on Spring Specials

Never knew that. But when you say full vinyl top, is it with the regular quarter glass w/o the square opening like the spring special or with the square opening? Or both?

Like the pic posted, a real full vinyl top what reachs the quarter opening glass area and A pillar post, pretty much like 71/72s. The Halo top is comonly also named as full vinyl top allong 73/74 because it was pretty much the only option available as Full vinyl top look and the most known, UNTILL, this M07 optioned cars were offered on 74s ( can't tell for sure if mid year offer or all 74 production ), which are a real Full vinyl top but not really common.

Dealerships databook doesn't talk about this option, however I can find these on my April 74 parts manual catalog, which obviouslly covers second half production, so it can be pretty much a mid year offer, at the same time SS came out to the market!

Once again need to say, this M07 finish was not part of the SS package but an option ( per SS advertising description ), and was NOT exclusive to SS Per what I have found allong the years surfing around.

Last edited:
on the reply you quoted me, need to say or correct, quarter fixed glass with opera window frame and no louvers... not the WL21 coupes which are also fixed glass, but without opera window frame.

That's how the Parts manual catallog calls them... Opera window w/o louvers... literally

on the reply you quoted me, need to say or correct, quarter fixed glass with opera window frame and no louvers... not the WL21 coupes which are also fixed glass, but without opera window frame.

That's how the Parts manual catallog calls them... Opera window w/o louvers... literally

Oh okay, so no such thing as a 73 SE or 74 SE with the plain coupe quarter windows (fixed no roll down)?

ok, let me post about that again.

all 74 SEs where louvered quarter glass and 3/4 vinyl tops

AS A STANDARD EQUIPMENT, ALL 73 SES were also Louvered quarter glass and 3/4 vinyl tops, HOWEVER the halo top and roll down quarter glass just like a WH23 hardtop was AN OPTION on them but still were WP29.... this is just a 73 deal.

73 DDB
73_Charger_total0009.jpg

74 DDB

74_Charger%20(7).jpg

you can see on the 74 DDB the M07 roof finish isn not shown, however on my April 74 PMC it is as a hardtop ( WH23 ), even they are built exactly like an SE but without the louvers ( just right the opposite than the previous year rolling dow glass SEs LOL ), since louvers are just an insert over same assembly

IMG_5314.JPG

Last edited:
ok, let me post about that again.

all 74 SEs where louvered quarter glass and 3/4 vinyl tops

AS A STANDARD EQUIPMENT, ALL 73 SES were also Louvered quarter glass and 3/4 vinyl tops, HOWEVER the halo top and roll down quarter glass just like a WH23 hardtop was AN OPTION on them but still were WP29.... this is just a 73 deal.

you can see on the 74 DDB the M07 roof finish isn not shown, however on my April 74 PMC it is
Okay thanks.

here side by side an SS ad and a non SS car with opera window

ad says the SS package was available in all Chargers ( never have found one being not WH23 though ), and opera window trim option on hardtops versions

the pic of the blue Charger tells me the opera window was not exclusive to SS, since it got pinstripe, blue interior and buckets ( not part of SS package ) and pretty sure blue exterior was not available on them either

spring special1.jpg
celeb window1.jpg

Oh okay, so no such thing as a 73 SE or 74 SE with the plain coupe quarter windows (fixed no roll down)?

I never have read or found anything about an SE with halo top and fixed glas just like a WL21. Actually makes no sense get a Premium car line being something like a "cheap" coupe option. IMHO, the deal with halo top option on 73 SEs is get just right the roll down glass posibility, not just the Halo top finish itself.

However I can't really quote my statement from anywhere, just a personal conclusion after all these years. And I have dedicated to collect all info available about these cars all these years ( since my first contact with the Mopar world on line back in 2002 ) being a 74 owner

Here's a black on black. Probably a color change re-paint.

View attachment 440792

or not!, simply a 3X black Charger with the M07 option ( I never have found that was not posible ), but unless highly modified, definitelly non a SS... they were parchment interior per package. Definitelly it looks got a fresh paint recently, but who knows about the rest?

we can tell the blue one I posted is still original from factory due the paint fade and still the pin stripe on it

Last edited:
there is an interesing extra deal on the 73 SE halo top posted. It's powered window in all 4 glasses. Pretty much common get powered windows on SEs, ( but not part of the Package, just common )

00000_pCvsvB1nQP_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one I had back in high school in 1982 full vinyl top sun roof silver 400 bb 2 bbl

FB_IMG_1440285462094.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back