• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Charger seat belt retractor issue

Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
I have a 74 Charger Rallye with bucket seats and a combined lap and shoulder harness that is retractable. There are actually two retractor mechanisms as part of the seat belt assembly. The issue is that one or both of the retractor mechanisms tend to lock up and you can't get the seat belt out. I've examined the mechanism and there doesn't seem to be any adjustments except a small screw and spring that is attached to a metal band. Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with this issue or should I just start looking for a parts car with working retractors? Thanks.

Just pull it out very slowly and it will work or you can pull it apart and take the clip that runs over the teeth and remove it . I suppose if you shorten the clip it might work better .my 74 was a pain in the *** to if you pull slowly they work fine

Off topic but could you please post pictures of your charger I love the 73-74 style cars I'm working on a 72 rallye myself
197339-496727a9e6d9ad80458bf0776add1e92.jpg

143235-e65d2ea9713c139f4391234ae8bf9f36.jpg
here's my last 73 rallye I never got around to the strip and go wing on this one before I sold it wish I still had it it was a nice build

IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2739.JPG
Thanks for the tip. Pulling slowly does work on the drivers side but the passenger side does tend to lock up the retractor no matter what. I will take another shot at fiddling with it.
Here's my 74 Charger Rallye 440
One of four sunroof cars made.

This same crap happens with the A body cars. It pisses me off.

Auto Transport Service
Back