• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 SE Center Console Bracket Positions?

Gold Rush

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
I am converting my '74 from automatic on the column to on the floor with center console. Does anyone have measurements, photos, or diagrams of where to weld the console and slap-stick shifter mounts? If it would help, I have a photo of a tunnel cut out of a car but no measurements.

39766926471_efbb8acf3e.jpg
TUNNEL AND BRACKETS.jpg

See if your floorpan has the indentation for the 3 screw holes for the circular hole for the vertical shaft. That's what I used as a starting point and worked my way back laying things out.

I do not think there are exact measurements of the process, at least from what I researched.

I had mine cut off the tunnel like yours so what I did was lay it on top of the pan in my car and fasten it down. You have the hole and the rear seem so it should be easy to line up. After that, I took my cut off wheel and cut through the welds of the brackets through metal and nicked the floor pan on my car so I have the spot where it should be welded. This should keep it straight.

Once I finished that, I very lightly tack welded them in place (in case I was off and I was) and fitted the linkage and slap shifter. On a side note, make sure your transmission tail housing has the two bolt holes so you can attach your linkage to it(ask me how I found out). I put the console over it and it bolted right up but something I forgot to do was check it for being level. I was straight on the brackets but the middle one angled down to far and it listed to the left so make sure its level across too. It was only tack welded so it was an easy fix but glad I did that as a precaution.

I am sure there is a more professional way to do it but that is how I muddled through it. hahaha

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I have the photo but not the tunnel. Thanks for all the info and cautions. I didn't think of those.

See if your floorpan has the indentation for the 3 screw holes for the circular hole for the vertical shaft. That's what I used as a starting point and worked my way back laying things out.

Yes I do have the three dimples. I sure wish they had made some sort of marking for other items also..

Best way to get everything lined up is to start with the rear bracket, as you can see it crosses the seam of the rear and front floor pan, so with the cutout section you have, I would measure everything as it is on that cutout section, then take the rear bracket off the cutout and line it up with your car using the seam as a reference point. Once you have done that, you should be able to transfer the rest of the brackets and hole locations from the cutout section you have over to your car.

Let me restate this one more time. I have a photo of the tunnel. I do not have the tunnel. Maybe I should have said up front that I had purchased a complete new set of brackets (my oversight).

Since nobody actually seems to have the measurements, I'll combine all the ideas. Will use the shifter, rear seam, front hole location, and center console as references to tack the bracket in place then see how everything works out.

Thanks for the tips.

Auto Transport Service
Back