• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

75 coronet police

Davidrad

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I've been looking for a mid to late 70s B body and think I may have found one. (We had a 77 fury when I was a kid. From what I can recall my now wife and I had some good times in the backseat) The owner says its a 318 powered police car. It's white with blue interior. I'm curious about what I should be looking for to verify and what the police package gets me? I'm hoping for sway bars, suregrip, and a 4 barrel. Any reference material suggestions?

I did a quick search and found this info. I can't guarantee it's 100% correct but I hope it helps.
"On Mopar's from the early 60's until the mid-60's VIN numbers were all numbers and the way to tell a police car was if the second digit was a "9". This meant that the car was a police package. In 1966 they changed this so that if you got a police package the second digit was a "K". So, if you had a 1967 Plymouth Fury that was a police car, the VIN would start out "PK", P for Plymouth, K for Police. They used this method until 1977 and is the easiest way to tell if it is a factory police package car.
This is an example of a 1969 Plymouth Fury. The VIN started with "PK41" which means Plymouth, Police Package, 4 door Sedan

The second way you can ID a police car is if it has the "A38" package. All Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth cars have what is called a fender tag. This was a tag that was screwed onto either the inner driver side fender or on the radiator support just in front the battery. If you see an "A38" on the tag that means it was a police package car. This was available starting in 1970. Some cars, such as the 1976 Dodge Dart and 1976 Plymouth Valiant, were available as a police package but only with the A38 package, they could not have the "K" code in the VIN.

The last way to ID a police car gets more complicated. Not all agencies ordered a police package car. Some ordered a normal car then added all the cop options to it. Two agencies known for this were the Washington State Patrol and the North Carolina Highway Patrol. Will give you an example, since we own a 1972 Dodge Polara that served with the WSP. Our 72 is not a police package car, but it is a real police car. How do we know this? Couple of things to look for. It has a factory spotlight and certified speedo (verified by the fender tag and the build sheet, which is a piece of paper that went with the car and shows every option available on the car). It is also a special ordered car, with Y39 on the fender tag and a second "special order" tag next to the fender tag. This does not mean it was definitely a police by car itself, but it is a good sign. It also has the roof reinforcement, extra welds on the body, etc, etc. It can be hard to spot these cars, but they are as much a police car as one with an "A38" on the fender tag or a K as the second digit of the VIN.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm not concerned about how to identify a police car, more like what mechanically makes a police version a police version. I've heard stories of 318s with 360 heads, rear sway bars, an extra leaf in the suspension. Stuff like that. The Allpar information is nice but not specific enough for my fan boy need to know.

Not sure when this started but in the early 80's police cars usually had code AHB on the tag.

Having a certified speedometer is another good clue.

Fast idle switch, maybe.

Lots of 4D cop cars came with bucket seats.

Bolt holes for a cage, shot gun rack, radio, lights, antennas, etc...

floor mat...basic taxi interior but maybe A/C.

all good clues.

...and I'll add that the "P" in the post above is specific to the Fury line and not Plymouth.
A Satellite cop car VIN would begin RK...and a Coronet WK...

Back then they had a HD suspension with sway bars & a HD 727 Tranny. A for the engine they could have a 318 or a 360 it just depended on who did the ordering. But they all came with Pursuit tires (certified for high speed), Wide rim wheels, 14" are 6" wide and optional 15" are 7" wide. Heavy duty brakes semi metallic up front and 11"x2.5" drum rear. Heavy duty cooling system. A speedometer calibrated and marked in 2 mph increments,. Full set of gauges. I have a brochure from the 1979 police cars if you need more info.

Back then they had a HD suspension with sway bars & a HD 727 Tranny. A for the engine they could have a 318 or a 360 it just depended on who did the ordering. But they all came with Pursuit tires (certified for high speed), Wide rim wheels, 14" are 6" wide and optional 15" are 7" wide. Heavy duty brakes semi metallic up front and 11"x2.5" drum rear. Heavy duty cooling system. A speedometer calibrated and marked in 2 mph increments,. Full set of gauges. I have a brochure from the 1979 police cars if you need more info.

I would love too see that brochure. Can you scan it and send it to me?

Auto Transport Service
Back