• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 Dodge Colt vs early 70's Vega

I don't know why, but the Colts had a much more evil reputation than the Pintos and Vegas of the time. Maybe the heavy hemis in the colts, opposed to the typical small blocks in p & v.
Remember, Gliddens Arrow took over from the Colts in prostock, with a small block.
I didn't like mine at highway speeds......I've driven worse but just never did like driving small cars on the freeways etc. Can't remember ever taking it over 70 and most times if I had to get on the freeways, I took the bruiser 3/4 ton. Back then, a 3/4 ton that ran a 15.40 1/4 mile wasn't exactly a slow ride.

I have had several small cars with V8's in em, never felt uncomfortable in any of them. This is my favorite ride, and it was very easy to drive, except for once when it somehow got fluid under one tire and made a hard right turn (NOT my fluid)
But then, same size as the pinto/vega/colt, it has a small block. (I actually contemplated a iron head 440, but common sense prevailed). I doubt I would have been as confident with a hemi in it, and 65/35 weight distribution.

IMG_20221129_125341.jpg

IMG_20221129_125321.jpg

I have had several small cars with V8's in em, never felt uncomfortable in any of them. This is my favorite ride, and it was very easy to drive, except for once when it somehow got fluid under one tire and made a hard right turn (NOT my fluid)
But then, same size as the pinto/vega/colt, it has a small block. (I actually contemplated a iron head 440, but common sense prevailed). I doubt I would have been as confident with a hemi in it, and 65/35 weight distribution.

View attachment 1567763

View attachment 1567764
Mine wasn't a race car but an everyday back and forth to work thing.....just never have liked being in a small car on the freeways and especially so with the high speed bumper to bumper crap that goes on these days.

Auto Transport Service
Back