• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

79 300 wheels

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
I have a 79 300 and am thinking about different wheels for it. Right now I'm leaning toward Magnum 500's. I've also considering Cragar SS but you hear negative things about quality.
I want to stay with 15 x 7 with stock offset. Really don't care for the OEM wheels, pretty good condition with nice centers but just don't like them. Just wondering what you guys think. If you have any pictures, please post them. Thanks.

I have a 79 300 and am thinking about different wheels for it. Right now I'm leaning toward Magnum 500's. I've also considering Cragar SS but you hear negative things about quality.
I want to stay with 15 x 7 with stock offset. Really don't care for the OEM wheels, pretty good condition with nice centers but just don't like them. Just wondering what you guys think. If you have any pictures, please post them. Thanks.

There was optional turbine effect wheels on earlier model doba's that I'm partial to. I have a set of four in interested.
tuebine_effect_wheels.jpg
dobarims1.jpg dobarims2.jpg

There are a type of wheel that has 5 thick spoked on one level, wiht a lower level of 5 thin spokes (cakked 5 on 6s in the FMJ world). They were available on the Cordoba LS of 1980 onward. If they are properly polished, they are a wonderful combination of sporty and elegant. The Imperial/Fifth Avenue snowflake wheels are also really nice looking, tending towards the elegant side more than the 5 on 5s.

Only real issue with the 5 on 5s is that the centers often go missing, and the centers are very hard to find.

There was a set up for sale on this board (not mine, only using pictures for reference):

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/1981-chrysler-cordoba-wheels.119903/

Last edited:
I have been tossing around the idea of changing out my stock 15x7 wheels for a set of 15x8 slotted wheels like the type found on the little red express in '78

Word of caution on the 500 series. Purchased a set. Rims fit the rear tight, but would not clear the center hub. The top section of the center was too small to fit flush. Friend suggested maybe the rims were center was sized for a ford.

Word of caution on the 500 series. Purchased a set. Rims fit the rear tight, but would not clear the center hub. The top section of the center was too small to fit flush. Friend suggested maybe the rims were center was sized for a ford.
Thanks to everyone for the responses. If I do go with the 500's I'll be sure to check on the fit. Again thanks for the help.

Yes the Ford and Mopar 500's were different. 15X8 x 4 1/2 backspace aftermarket wheels fit no problem. I have 15X7 front and 15X8 on the rear. Jegs brand that work quite well. Plan was to go 15X8 on all four next time it needs tires but that may be awhile.

IMG_2151.jpg IMG_2152.jpg

Here is a photo of the 5 on 5 1980 Cordoba wheels.Yes they are hard to come by,,as said above the centers are even harder to find. This photo has a aftermarket center that I have no idea were the guy got them from.

0729161540.jpg

Here is a photo of the 5 on 5 1980 Cordoba wheels.Yes they are hard to come by,,as said above the centers are even harder to find. This photo has a aftermarket center that I have no idea were the guy got them from.

View attachment 380783
Darter,
Thanks for the pictures. Your Jegs wheels look really good. I'll check out what they have.
Bill (79300)

View attachment 380783
I have a set of these wheels, tryed to put them on my 71 GTX and rear fit fine. Front has disc brakes and don't fit. Back spacing is wrong. Would work if you have drums all around.

Really ? we installed those on a 64 dodge with the factory style pin type disc brakes.Now you got me wondering.

I have a set of these wheels, tryed to put them on my 71 GTX and rear fit fine. Front has disc brakes and don't fit. Back spacing is wrong. Would work if you have drums all around.

The 5 on 5s have a standard, factory backspacing for a 7" wide wheel. Same as Magnums, same as steelies. Were you running a non-factory front disk set up?

The 5 on 5s have a standard, factory backspacing for a 7" wide wheel. Same as Magnums, same as steelies. Were you running a non-factory front disk set up?
No all original stock brakes

How about Mirada wheels?

How about Mirada wheels?

The 5 on 5 wheels are Cordoba LS wheels, which is mechanically and chassis wise the same as a Mirada. The Mirada CMX wheels are called 10 spokes on the forFMJbodiesinly.com website. To my eye, they are less attractive/sporty than the 5 on 5 wheels. The two wheel types are the same (diameter, width, backspacing) dimensionally.

Last edited:
Original 300 wheels are 15X6. I run them on the front of my drag car as they only weigh 13 lbs each with out all the trim - polished.

aluminumwhl.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back