• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'79 Cordoba 4 Speed

ybshore

Local time
10:38 AM
Reaction score
My '79 Cordoba has a center console -though NOT a 300 car- and I've thought of dropping an 833 on her before....will this particular tranny bolt up to the 360 with minimal changes? Will an F-body pedal set work? Or what car might have a pedal to fit? Any older B-bodies have fitment here? And of course, not looking for performance really, just love to clutch, but am wondering how this tranny and gearings would push the car? Not enough, can't do, etc.

Or has anyone made the swap entirely from another MoPar product: a Dodge or Plymouth, and of what years?

This is what I have a chance to grab for shortdough.

Mopar aluminum case
23 spline overdrive A-833 four speed transmission with shifter & linkage rods.
3.09:1 first gear ratio
.73:1 overdrive
Came out of 1977 Aspen R/T
Can be used in A body or F body cars
Comes with a Hurst shifter that fits this set up.

Much THX.
A-833.jpg

I'd bet a 71-74 pedal setup would be closer than an F body.

The 71-74 shifter floor hump and shift rods should be close, too... except......you have a transmission that only has the A body mount location.

That's gonna require some fab work and/or trial and error to make work.

There was a very good write up on moparstyle.com a long time ago.
IIRC, the above mentioned '71 - '74 4spd pedals and accompanying gear fit and work with little to no issue.

You will need a B or Enbody trans. If you have a 727 in there now, that driveshaft will fit and work perfectly. The floor hump, OE or resto, should be part of the plan.

It is possible to use the shorter trans. I'm not sure if it differs from an A body trans. (I don't think so.) But on IIRC, ether MoParts or Big Block Dart .com, there are instructions on how to fit an A body manual trans into a B/E body.
You have to ge a little crafty by making a plate to move the shift to the rear. Enough to make the stick come through the OE hole in the floor.

I wanted to do this to my '79 Magnum.

Last edited:
There was a very good write up on moarstyle.com a long time ago.
IIRC, the above mentioned '71 - '74 4spd pedals and accompanying gear fit and work with little to no issue.

You will need a B or Enbody trans. If you have a 727 in there now, that driveshaft will fit and work perfectly. The floor hump, OE or resto, should be part of the plan.

It is possible to use the shorter trans. I'm not sure if it differs from an A body trans. (I don't think so.) But on IIRC, ether MoParts or Big Block Dart .com, there are instructions on how to fit an A body manual trans into a B/E body.
You have to ge a little crafty by making a plate to move the shift to the rear. Enough to make the stick come through the OE hole in the floor.

I wanted to do this to my '79 Magnum.

This A body 833 shifter is at the rear...how does a B/E body differ?

IMG_20160410_143658383.jpg
duel shifter e and b body trany mite be a better fit.

Well, hell! If it fit, stab it in.
Sorry to post....

If you do this swap post up some pics during the process. real curious to see how it goes. Been thinking abut swaping in a TKO 5 speed in my T-Top.

Auto Transport Service
Back