• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C blower

nakabrd

Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1971 GTX with factory A/C. The fan only works on low. Does anyone know a simple way to test it to determine if the problem is the switch or the fan? Thanks for your help, Jeff

Probably the switch. Check each position, with an ohm meter, to find out. Connectors are probably corroded.

Most likely the switch. Typically when the blower goes out it quits altogether.

As stated above. Positions corroded or connections broken

AC sytem is wired to work in low speed as a default speed even with lever switch unplugged.

If you want to check for the blower is enough to feed it straight from batt on engine bay but if works in low will work being full feeded from batt.

As mentioned, sounds to be the lever switch OR plug ( can be loosen or dosconected )

This switch uses to be a weak point in 73/74 at least. Can't talk on 71/72. Points inside the switch are not able to hold the load blower demands and overheats enough to melt the plug. I ended installing one relay for each speed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having difficulty reaching the switch connections or plug from under the dash. Does the instrument panel bezel easily come off from the from to expose the a/c controls and blower switch from the front? If so, how is it removed. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back