• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a833 length?

Druid318

Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how long a B body 833 is? I'm attempting to determine if I need an A body or B body 833 for my current project. I find lots of references online, but nothing with actual dimensions.

The project is a Power Wagon Town Panel, and I'm looking to upgrade from a 3 speed to a 4 speed. I need to make some measurements to make sure the B body 833 wouldn't interfere with my divorced transfer case.

Thanks for the help.

The hurst unit location is different on an A vs B 833......Have you factored that into the equation?

Measuring from the bell housing surface of the trans. I get 14 inches to the center of the B body 3 bolt shifter area and a total of 28.5 inches to the rear edge of the output shaft.

upload_2017-12-16_8-44-0.png

Why not a truck 4 speed or 6 speed or???

As far as I can tell the 833 used in trucks is the same as the B body. This type of truck did come with a 4 speed as an option but it seems to be something obscure. I'm trying to turn this truck into a family hauler capable of going on vacations etc so I want to get it setup with a transmission that is robust, highway geared, and common.

I wanted to keep the transfer case stock, as it is a twin stick (NP201 I think) and pretty functional and cool looking. The problem is that the 3 speed (a745) has a no syncro first gear and isn't geared well for the highway. The truck only has 60k miles on it, and I think that is because it's near painful to drive. It's fun for me to drive, but I'm a big guy and the column shift plus the lack of power steering and brakes makes it a bit of a workout.

I've been driving it for about 8 months with only minor repairs needed, and then an hour away from home the 3 on the tree shifter broke on me. The outside pipe running from the column to the floor literally snapped while driving. I'm working on getting it dissembled, as a nice guy on facebook offered to weld it up for me. It looks like it has had some bad welding done on it before, or possibly epoxy and paint.

I was basically trying to decide if I should just dump the 3 speed and buy a 4 speed, but that looks complicated with the divorced transfer case being in the way.

Edited to add: Also the truck currently has a Slant Six, so most 5 and 6 speeds won't work.

Would anyone happen to know how to remove the 3 speed shifter from this column? Tried a mini pry bar on the pin, but it's not budging. Pliers didn't work, and I don't have a good angle to hit it with a punch. I'm kind of starting to think this wasn't intended to be taken apart...ever.

Also, I hope I'm not breaking the rules posting non B body stuff here. I was looking at a B body transmission so I hope that is appropriate. Not a lot of online presence for these old trucks that I can find.

IMAG2127.jpg IMAG2126.jpg

Well, I finally got it out. That pin doesn't seem to want to ever come out. I ended up drilling holes in the little dimples where they attached the mount inside the steering wheel housing. I cut the shifter handle off the remains of the shift rod, ground away a bunch of ugly old weld where someone fixed this once already, and pulled the remains out through the hole in the back of the steering wheel housing.

Long story short, I don't think these were intended to be removable. On to attempt an np435 swap now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back