• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost lost my shop today!

BeeKool

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
It was raining late this am.. 11 or so.
Was talking with a customer and my father and brother.
A breaker blew and the lights went dead. At first I thought we lost power but the radio was still on.
I reset the breaker and it arced and immediately tripped again.
My brother killed the light switch and I reset the breaker, it immediately tripped again. We determined that there was a dead short in the wiring between the switch and the box.
I climbed a ladder and poked my head into the loft above. No smoke. We went to dinner and agreed to make a list, gather supplies and proceed with repairs after dinner. I killed all the breakers and went home to eat.

Now this summer I installed new lights, and piped and wired everything after the switch. This summer I was going to pipe and rewired everything from the breaker box to the switch.

I get back from dinner and the shop is filled with smoke. I climb up to the loft and find it too smoky to see. I pulled all of the vehicles out while my dad called 911. (Huge mistake.) My dad told the dispatch to send AldenFD to our address. (Alden is nearest town 5 miles.)The lady said we were in Franklin County and transferred our call. Ringringringring a new dispatch answers. We give our address. The new dispatch said "well you have an Alden address and need to talk with Franklin co. and transferred us back to the first dispatch. Ringringringring. The first dispatch answers again. Telling us that we need to call the fire department. Ten ******* minutes have gone by!! Now my dad is irate. "Just send the Alden Fire Dept to XXxX address!" She got pissed and hung up!

Meanwhile my brother calls our mechanic who is a volunteer Firefighter for a different township. Fifteen minutes later the Fire Dept shows up. Our mechanic personally telephoned members of the nearer Alden FD (hes Bradford FD) and they came. By then we had extinguished the flames. While my dad and brother were trying to get help so took it upon myself to grab the water wagon and pull it next to the shop. It hold 3000 gallon and has a 200gpm pump on it.

Still they gave the all clear. So I can sleep tonight.
20170621_132104.jpg

20170621_134209.jpg
20170621_134205.jpg

Damage was minimal. I will need to splice a sister board alongside the charred header, replace a piece of ceiling tin and blow a bunch of new insulation up top. And of course pipe and rewired from the switch back to the breaker box.

We were lucky. The FD did well but if this were a house fire there would be dead people. The dispatch was the most inept cunt that I've ever dealt with and does not belong as a 911 dispatch. The FD is livid at the dispatch and I think they are going to file a complaint and have her reviewed.
Hopefully she's unemployed in a week.

Wow, glad damage was small!

YEOW ! ! ! That's not good . . . but at least the outcome turned out okay ( much better than it "could" have been ) . . . glad everyone is okay . . .

Yes, dispatch needs a lesson. They need to have that kind of stuff figured out and ready to respond immediately. 10 minutes waiting for them to figure out what was going on is unacceptable.

On another note - proof that electrical wiring is nothing to be trifled with. Wiring issues burn down buildings and burn up cars!

Glad the damage was minimal - must have been a scary situation!

I don't think I'm going to turn it in to insurance. My deductible is 2k and I don't want my premium to increase.
So unless the FD wants more than 1k I will just pay the FD, make the repairs myself and hire somebody to blow insulation upstairs.
If it had happened late at night it would have been a structure fire. And I would have lost a backhoe, a boat, 2 tractors, a 4 wheeler and 2 mowers. As well as all my shop tools and whatever else..

Lesson here is... You can never call the FD too soon. I feel fortunate.

I also understand just how easily one can be overcome with smoke. This minor incident produced some of the most noxious smoke I ever seen. That insulation is nasty stuff. Shop was built in '83 so no asbestos

On another note - proof that electrical wiring is nothing to be trifled with. Wiring issues burn down buildings and burn up cars!
!
Yes. If in doubt... update the wiring.

great to read, that the loss you experienced is minimal.
what do you suspect happened?

Wow - serious business. Lucky you caught it when you did. By the way you sure have a big shop. It's bigger than my home in CA! Glad all is well! Be cool.......

Glad it worked out, close call. Other half has a farm in 18080 zip code. Volunteer Fire. Siren goes off. Honey, have you seen my socks? House will surely burn to the ground.
Zip here 95125, city services. SJFD/Paramedics to the house in 3-7 minutes.

I hate fires ,that's my worst fear . Mostly for my pets stuff is replaceable but people and pets are not ! You got lucky by chance the the rat that probably started this problem get his? I had that rat problem for a few months o kept feeding them so they wouldn't eat anything they shouldn't eat . Then I left the window open and invited the Tom cat out side a big bowl of milk for each rat he killed! He was good got them all . Sadly King Edward(I named him that) didn't make it a Ford gotem

Makes me wonder. I recently rewired my old farm house with 12ga romex. Pulled up the hardwood floors did away with the old tube and knob. The tube and knob looked pristine though. No rodents had messed with it. They seem to like romex though. Hope I made the right decision.

This shop fire almost certainly has to be from a mouse chewing the romex given the location. The melted wire is away from all fasteners and bends in the line. It was in a straight stretch.

Wow, too close to home. Good to hear you got it out in time. toolmanmike from Waterloo.

Auto Transport Service
Back