• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator tool

pjm8047

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
ill be installing a new alternator on my 71 rr and was look threw the service manual on tightening the belt. There is a special tool c-3841 to tighten belt that hooks onto alternator and use a torque wrench to sent belt tightens. That tool goes for $25 on ebay. Is that the only to tighten belt or do i need that tool?

No need for the tool. I just pull the alternator until the belt is snug with one hand & tighten the "adjuster bolt in the slotted hole" using a socket wrench with the other hand. Then I tighten all the alternator bolts. Lastly, I push with "medium force" on the belt & look for about 1" deflection....that's it. If it's too tight or too loose, I repeat the process. No tool needed.

I have and use the tool. KD Tools, dammit, took it home. I will post the KD Tools number tonight...

There was s member here that made that tool. I bought one, thing works great!!

There was s member here that made that tool. I bought one, thing works great!!
I got one from him also. Can't remember his name though.

Auto Transport Service
Back