• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator whirl/whine sound: Solved

wsutard

Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I just installed a new Tough Stuff 8509DP 100 amp alternator. It is producing a whirl sound, sort of like the sound a blower makes while idling.

I figured the belt was too tight so I loosened it up but no change in the sound.

Is his normal for a new alternator?

You can hear the whirl/whine in this vid.

First I would check alignment. Then take the belt off and spin pulley by hand for bearing noise. Spray belt with a little soapy water to see if whine stops.

I have heard new ones whir a little, tough to hear in clip but it doesn't sound abnormal, though I don't have experience with that particular style. Like pops said above check belt alignment and when spinning by hand should have some resistance but no grating or grinding.

So the belt was on the wrong crank guide. I moved it over to the correct one and no change. I sprayed soapy water on the belt, no change.

Here is another video, I believe it is more pronounced in this one. The high pitched whirl.

Well from the pic it looks mis-aligned. Is the battery charged up? It could be noise from trying to charge battery.

Well from the pic it looks mis-aligned. Is the battery charged up? It could be noise from trying to charge battery.
Battery is charged. The belt is aligned with the AC and crank pulleys. Not sure how else it can be aligned.

I have a call into Tough Suff so I should know that they think Monday.

Tough Stuff said the noise is either bad diodes or a bad bearing. Either way, Summitnis replacing it with next day shipping and sending UPS out to pic up the old one.

Great service all around.

Hope that fixes it for ya... It's definitely more noticeable in the second clip you posted, and does seem a little too loud to be normal

My alternator is making a lot of noise too. It's fine until I put the car in gear, then it sounds like a bearing going out. It's a power master chromed sq. Back. External regulator with a serpentine belt.

the pulley is wrong on that alternator, you should have the single pulley on it so the belt lines up. This is not the cause of your noise. Have you put a voltmeter on the battery and see what the charging voltage is? Usually the whirring noise is cause by alternator trying to put out max voltage....meaning either the alternator or voltage regulator is full fielding the battery

the pulley is wrong on that alternator, you should have the single pulley on it so the belt lines up. This is not the cause of your noise. Have you put a voltmeter on the battery and see what the charging voltage is? Usually the whirring noise is cause by alternator trying to put out max voltage....meaning either the alternator or voltage regulator is full fielding the battery

I will look into this if the new one makes the same noise. OnTrac is causing issues as they said they delivered the new one but didn't. I'm sure it's at my neighbors but I need them to wake up first to check.

Summit has already sent another one out to replace the replacement. OnTrac sucks.

Yep. New alternator fixed the issue. No cost to me, just a bit of time.

Auto Transport Service
Back