• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Thanks guys.

Found a site to figure up lighting and 4 T5 4 bulb fixures is the ticket. Found them on Ebay for $75 ea compared to the stores $120, nice thing is they're American Made and ship directly from the manufacturer. I'll wire the shop for up to 8 fixures just to be safe though. Moving right along now!

IMO, the 4 bulb T5s are over kill, I have been switching my 8 ft T8s over to 4 ft 2 bulb 54 watt T5s......... I have replaced only 5 of 9 fixtures in the main shop (1200 sq ft) and it has never been brighter........ 2 bulb T5s kick major *** for half the money, half the bulbs.......... 42 dollars per fixture at home depot, and about 3 dollars per bulb at 1000bulbs.com

if you go to home depot and look at the lighting display, the T5 54 watt lights are by far the brightest, they almost hurt to look at

you can also link 2 bulb fixtures end to end to make an 8 footer

Last edited:
Going to be switching all these 4ft'rs over to LED next month...
Those are supposed to be awesome lights now, I was reading up on them and they've come along ways lately.
Yup 3/4in Insulation... Only problem is....32x42... IT AINT BIG ENOUGH !!!:lol:
Yup, that's why I'm going 32X34 X 2 + 24X24 :thumbsup:.

IMO, the 4 bulb T5s are over kill, I have been switching my 8 ft T8s over to 4 ft 2 bulb 54 watt T5s......... I have replaced only 5 of 9 fixtures in the main shop (1200 sq ft) and it has never been brighter........ 2 bulb T5s kick major *** for half the money, half the bulbs.......... 42 dollars per fixture at home depot, and about 3 dollars per bulb at 1000bulbs.com

if you go to home depot and look at the lighting display, the T5 54 watt lights are by far the brightest, they almost hurt to look at

you can also link 2 bulb fixtures end to end to make an 8 footer
We've got them all over the mill at work, definitely a noticeable difference between the 2 bulb, 4 bulb and 6 bulb fixtures but I imagine more 2 bulb fixtures versus fewer 4 bulbs would light better?

Looks great with the doors up! Damn that came together fast
Thanks Goon.
Good help makes everything go better but it hasn't felt fast. Looking back and realizing that I didn't start until Sept and the size of it makes me feel better about it lol. I finished sealing it in today, garage door seals, another door then fired up the torpedo heater only to find it wouldn't run!:BangHead: Sumbitchin mice built a nest around the fan, **** everywhere and ate the wiring harness but I got them:lol:. I cleared the fan enough to run and separated the chewed up wires and plugged that puppy in, whatever was in there isn't now. I'll tear it down for a minor overhaulin next time around.

We've got them all over the mill at work, definitely a noticeable difference between the 2 bulb, 4 bulb and 6 bulb fixtures but I imagine more 2 bulb fixtures versus fewer 4 bulbs would light better?

exactly! .......... spread out a few 2 bulb fixtures, you can always ad more, but you won't have to. I have 3 rows of 3 in my 30 x 40 space. 5 of them are now T5s....... The 4 corner fixtures are still 8 ft T8s and are nearly useless at this point. I replace them as the bulbs go bad. I can't imagine how bright it will be with all 9 switched out. I love em..........

here is a link to the bulbs I use https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/152903/HALCO-35084.html

I first used them when I built what I call my "clean room" ............ put them in the walls and ceiling behind some homemade diffusers making them "vapor proof"

Last edited:
I used nine fixtures total. Each fixture holds six 4' bulbs. They have dual ballasts so they can be wired where you have all nine going with two bulbs, all nine going with four bulbs or with both switches on, all nine fixtures with all six bulbs on. You can NEVER have it too bright...especially as you get older.

exactly! .......... spread out a few 2 bulb fixtures, you can always ad more, but you won't have to. I have 3 rows of 3 in my 30 x 40 space. 5 of them are now T5s....... The 4 corner fixtures are still 8 ft T8s and are nearly useless at this point. I replace them as the bulbs go bad. I can't imagine how bright it will be with all 9 switched out. I love em..........

here is a link to the bulbs I use https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/152903/HALCO-35084.html

I first used them when I built what I call my "clean room" ............ put them in the walls and ceiling behind some homemade diffusers making them "vapor proof"

Love the paint job! Thanks I'll look into the bulbs. For now I'll see how these 4 bulbs work and go from there but there will be extra outlets to add lighting later.

Not a lot of progress but everything is finished on the doors and I managed to pull the service wire so we'll have lights soon.

20161224_215821.jpg

20161224_215815.jpg

20161224_215621.jpg

Love the paint job! Thanks I'll look into the bulbs. For now I'll see how these 4 bulbs work and go from there but there will be extra outlets to add lighting later.
Yeah, I get to look at it every time I go out in the garage!!! :lol:

The entire garage looks great - a first rate job!

When I wired my garage, my electrician friend kept having me add more outlets, I thought he was nuts with how may we added, but now I know he was just smart. Wire LOTS of them - you'll be glad you did!. Also, remember that in a garage the outlets need to be GFCI protected.

Rock on!

Hawk

Yeah, I get to look at it every time I go out in the garage!!! :lol:

The entire garage looks great - a first rate job!

When I wired my garage, my electrician friend kept having me add more outlets, I thought he was nuts with how may we added, but now I know he was just smart. Wire LOTS of them - you'll be glad you did!. Also, remember that in a garage the outlets need to be GFCI protected.

Rock on!

Hawk
Didn't realize that was yours, I know first hand how nice that one is!!

Yeap been there and I don't skimp on outlets especially in a garage. I'll have outlets at least every 8ft on the side walls where there isn't any benches then about every 4ft where the work bench will be also outlets near every door. I'll also have at least 3 - 220 outlets on each wall for the welder and plumb in the 3 phase for future machines like a mill and lathe.

No GFCI's here, they call for them in wet area's like bathrooms but that's about it. Putting 20 amp recepticles in and calling it done.

I put the GFCIs in to get through the electrical inspection. I just killed the first one with the TIG welder and changed it out with a standard receptacle. Our code also called for childproof receptacles. Ridiculous in an outbuilding. I didn't put them in but still passed.

I put the GFCIs in to get through the electrical inspection. I just killed the first one with the TIG welder and changed it out with a standard receptacle. Our code also called for childproof receptacles. Ridiculous in an outbuilding. I didn't put them in but still passed.
Agreed, most codes are just plain ignorant, fortunately I'm the only inspector on this job:thumbsup:.

I've done more than my share of wiring over the years in Industrial Maint so this isn't my first rodeo lol. Hawk if I remember correctly lives in PA and has codes to meet plus I'm sure he probably had to have a licensed electrician do his for him...... thanks to the bureaucratic B.S. I can't argue that they do offer an added amount of safety but like airbags they aren't needed and add more cost and headaches. Wish you could all experience the freedom of Ohio:poke:.

Yep, my home state of Pa is getting tiring. I love it here, mountains, weather, scenery, but the amount of code enforcement is really getting cumbersome. I built my house and garage before the over the top inspection/permitting process got really bad. It has added approximately $8000 to the cost of a new home! Pretty soon you won't be able to take a dump without someone counting the number of sh*t tickets you've used. I live in a "border" county which has been infiltrated by front platers bringing all their wants and needs with them. No offense to NY, or NJ Mopar guys - you are all OK..............:D:D:D.

Yep, my home state of Pa is getting tiring. I love it here, mountains, weather, scenery, but the amount of code enforcement is really getting cumbersome. I built my house and garage before the over the top inspection/permitting process got really bad. It has added approximately $8000 to the cost of a new home! Pretty soon you won't be able to take a dump without someone counting the number of sh*t tickets you've used. I live in a "border" county which has been infiltrated by front platers bringing all their wants and needs with them. No offense to NY, or NJ Mopar guys - you are all OK..............:D:D:D.
It's a shame because PA is a beautiful state. We pass threw PA, VA and MD often, to me that's about as good as it gets for scenery and I've been in almost every state.
Hopefully Ohio can fend off the trend and continue to be builder friendly.

Last edited:
Yup, as stated the code requirements here in PA are crazy. In my township, you need to have a licensed electrician do your wiring AND THEN get an independent electrical inspection. REALLY? I fought with them about that, claiming that because I am an electrical engineer I am qualified to do it (being an electrical engineer does NOT mean you know codes or proper wiring). But the dingbats in the permit area allowed me to do my own wiring based on that!

Yup, as stated the code requirements here in PA are crazy. In my township, you need to have a licensed electrician do your wiring AND THEN get an independent electrical inspection. REALLY? I fought with them about that, claiming that because I am an electrical engineer I am qualified to do it (being an electrical engineer does NOT mean you know codes or proper wiring). But the dingbats in the permit area allowed me to do my own wiring based on that!
WOW, an electrical engineer doesn't know codes lol. You probably know a lot more than them! I've seen your attention to detail and that's really the most important thing, sloppy workmanship is responsible for more failures than code violations IMO.

My dad was an Electrical Engineer . . . and he taught me how to wire a house my whole life - probably can do it better than some, and not quite as good as others . . .

Sure beats the wire-tied electrical connections that I have found in my attic ( buried under the insulation ) that are made not inside an electrical box - and yes, I've been fixing them as I find them !

Some "codes" are a matter of common sense and being safe . . .

It's looking like I won't be doing much wiring at all, came home 2 days now to my dad wiring my garage...gotta love him.

Auto Transport Service
Back