• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

WOW, an electrical engineer doesn't know codes lol. You probably know a lot more than them! I've seen your attention to detail and that's really the most important thing, sloppy workmanship is responsible for more failures than code violations IMO.

My dad was an Electrical Engineer . . . and he taught me how to wire a house my whole life - probably can do it better than some, and not quite as good as others . . .

Sure beats the wire-tied electrical connections that I have found in my attic ( buried under the insulation ) that are made not inside an electrical box - and yes, I've been fixing them as I find them !

Some "codes" are a matter of common sense and being safe . . .

Absolutely. Hey, many of the codes are there for good reason and make good sense, so I am all about following stuff that makes sense. As an aside I heard from an electrician friend of mine that the NEC (National Electric Code) is a FOR PROFIT group. They make profit by selling NEC books. If the codes don't change, they don't sell books, so they keep adding crap every year just to keep up book sales. I can't personally vouch for that, but my electrician friend was pretty wound up about that.

At any rate, making sure the electrical stuff is right IS important, especially the basics like making sure you wire Hot and Neutral to the proper side, use the correct gauge wire, make good connections, etc.

I have no doubt based on the rest of the garage that the electrical will be first rate too. Go Dad! :thumbsup:

Hawk

We have light!!!! I was concerned after flipping the switch that they may not be bright enough but after warming up my concerns went away.... pretty happy. Bad news is once I opened my American made lights up for wiring I saw the dreaded made in China sticker on the ballast:BangHead:. I was sure to leave feedback on Ebay about the false claim but they do work well. Now I'm back to framing the bathroom, loft and stairway so the wiring can be wrapped up but first I'm getting this lift up and running:thumbsup:.
Need to start thinking about 220 outlets for a MIG now, wiring will be expensive with 50 amp circuits so I hope to minimize the wiring by placing them well. Thinking 1 by the garage door, 1 along each wall centered to the bays and 1 on the concrete column which should make it possible to reach everything with a 15' cord.

20170101_045236.jpg

Looks real nice. Would love to see some pictures and details of the lift install. I bought some light fixtures about 20 years ago, the boxes were labeled " Lights of America". When I opened the boxes, they all had stickers saying made in China.

Looks real nice. Would love to see some pictures and details of the lift install. I bought some light fixtures about 20 years ago, the boxes were labeled " Lights of America". When I opened the boxes, they all had stickers saying made in China.
Hadn't planned on it but I can show the installation, hoping it'll be up and running this weekend. Thanks

We have light!!!! I was concerned after flipping the switch that they may not be bright enough but after warming up my concerns went away.... pretty happy. Bad news is once I opened my American made lights up for wiring I saw the dreaded made in China sticker on the ballast:BangHead:. I was sure to leave feedback on Ebay about the false claim but they do work well. Now I'm back to framing the bathroom, loft and stairway so the wiring can be wrapped up but first I'm getting this lift up and running:thumbsup:.
Need to start thinking about 220 outlets for a MIG now, wiring will be expensive with 50 amp circuits so I hope to minimize the wiring by placing them well. Thinking 1 by the garage door, 1 along each wall centered to the bays and 1 on the concrete column which should make it possible to reach everything with a 15' cord.

View attachment 384831

Yeah . . . that looks awesome ! ! !

What's with the chimney in the middle of the garage?
LOL. 34 ft is a big span to support a 32 ft wide upstairs that will be heavily loaded. The "chimney" isn't in the center, it's 24 ft back so the bays are free of anything other than the lift plus it will also be beneficial when I build the loft in the rear as well providing a support. They're left over corner blocks, I'll come back later and smooth over the grooves so it looks better.

Last edited:
Here's a better pic for you. The column supports a 36" tall beam which supports the 2"X12"X16' joists. Wish it wasn't needed but given it's position it won't be an issue and serve as a convenient place for a 110 and welder outlet.
20170108_131005.jpg

Well I think I made a boo-boo! I brushed threw the instructions.... yeap it usually starts right there haha. Anyways as the instructions state 138" X 24" is the footprint to layout on your floor for the lift 12" added since I ordered an extra foot on the width making it 150" right? Since I'm installing the lift 100% by myself I erected the uprights by themselves, installed dead on 150" perfectly plum in every way and anchored it down. The crossbar is now 2.5" short:BangHead:. I went ahead and installed the cables to make sure they'd still reach and they do so the bar is getting lengthened, no problemo:thumbsup:. It's pretty clear that either A.... I didn't get an extra foot or B the crossbar was made to short?

The instructions state that you anchor 1 leg, assemble then bolt the other down. Problem is when doing it alone and grouting it in you can't man handle a bolted assembly. No worries, she's rock solid now. I'll post install pics when I get to my computer but they're pretty simple, most here could easily install one.

I don't throw away instructions, you never know/remember,lol.

All done! Figured the Can Am is sitting right there so might as well throw it on there for the trial run.

20170115_002806.jpg

You need to clean up tire tracks on the floor!!!!!!!!!! lol.

You need to clean up tire tracks on the floor!!!!!!!!!! lol.
The mud here is just crazy with all this freezing, thawing and now 60 degree weather with tons of rain. I wish when winter got here it would just stay 30 degrees with a couple of inches of snow on the ground all winter..... I hate mud!

Where in the heck in the Buckeye state are you?( "now 60deg. weather") Ain't supposed be that until middle of week up here,LOL..Left Columbus this morning heading north and it was 29deg. I think...

Where in the heck in the Buckeye state are you?( "now 60deg. weather") Ain't supposed be that until middle of week up here,LOL..Left Columbus this morning heading north and it was 29deg. I think...
I was referring to this whole past week, had 1 day I was sweating in a hoody and wished I had worn a Tshirt under it to strip down to. It's a bit colder today but still not cold enough to freeze this crap.

Thought it was only fitting to use a Chevy as a sacrificial lamb hehe. I was thinking that I was working up to the Chargers weight until I looked at the door tag.... holy cow it weighs 4073 lbs!!! Guess I'm good.

20170115_162337.jpg

Now the bad news, I'm very happy with the construction, speed, ease of installation, etc but one side is 3/4" higher than the other. Doesn't sound like much but it's enough for that arm to not fit under the cruze or charger without lifting them first. After looking things over I found that the box tubing that the arm mounts to was welded on 3/4" higher on this side:BangHead:. Going to see if they'll make it right but I've got a few plans if they don't.

Auto Transport Service
Back