• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Yippy!!!! Busted butt and have only a few sheets left to hang, bad news is that means it's almost time for mud and sanding:(.

I'll tackle the bathroom this weekend and start the mudding. Should be moving on to painting and building a bench soon.

Love hanging rock, but like you, I hate the next steps

Love hanging rock, but like you, I hate the next steps
I don't think there's many things that offer as much instant gratification as hanging rock.... maybe painting a car but that can go south in a hurry.

Spent last night in the bathroom (working) and got my wall finished.
20170506_030157.jpg

LOL, That may not be good to have on display?

Installed my outside lights so the last of the wiring could go in and then the last 2 pieces of drywall:thumbsup:.

Last night was spent on the bathroom, laid the tile, hung the rest of the drywall and got the first cost of mud on. It'll only take a skim coat then paint and I'll be ready for the toilet and plumbing.
Notice the Sublime green ceiling:thumbsup:. I'm hoping to find a paint that will be close to an aluminum color for the garage and bathroom walls?

A big obstacle is going to be figuring out how to install a bladder tank, pump and hot water heater without it looking messy.

20170507_133756.jpg

Last edited:
Cool progress. :thumbsup:
Thanks Kiwi, never had running water in a garage and can't wait until I no longer have to go outside in the cold or rain to be pee let alone running to the house with a turtle head! Also no more garden hoses to wet the floors before paint... oh yeah and I can wash my hands!! Seriously thinking about a urinal too.

Almost wish I would have plumbed another drain in for a shower but then you'd need to keep clothes in the garage too.

I used a electric water heater. mounted right under the sink.

I used a electric water heater. mounted right under the sink.
Still debating between tankless or traditional. I think tankless fits the bill better but traditional is super reliable. I'm mostly only in the garage working on the weekends which makes me like the tankless.

It will be less cost to use a 5 gal 120volt heater and wrap with extra insulation
for the amount of hot water you need

It will be less cost to use a 5 gal 120volt heater and wrap with extra insulation
for the amount of hot water you need
Initial cost or annual cost? I wired it to handle a 220V-50 amp circuit so either way I'm good.

I have this hanging in the bathroom of my shop......
IMG_20170508_170607261.jpg

And a NOS emblem on the outside of door.....

Use the tankless Bro! Takes up less room and you will have all the hot water you want. Be sure to check how many gallons per minute it will make per temperature rise. In the winter that could be an issue for you. The Navien 240 will even run on a 1/2" line 25'long and is convertable from natural to LP gas if you need to. We mount them outside here which saves even more room, however, we do not have the temperature extremes you do so you would want to check on those issues from the Mfg. In any case, nice job!

Haven't been updating simply because pictures of drywall, mud then dust aren't very entertaining but it's done. I'm pretty proud, did such a clean job on the drywall and mudding that I sanded the whole garage in a matter of hours. Painting starts this weekend then making all the trim:thumbsup:. Can't wait to bring the torches, welder, tools and everything else over and actually start using it instead of building it.

Also....a good friend that builds bridges dropped off some old 6" I beams so I can get started on the bridge as well.

She's painted:thumbsup:. Call me cheap but I bought 5 gallons of Kilz primer and after a good coat I had a ton left so I went threw my left over paints from the house and poured in some more white and black to come up with this gray... $50 to paint and prime the whole garage. I've got enough for another coat so I'm thinking about getting some metal flake to give it more of a silver look? At any rate I'm at least past the dusty stage which is great. Hopefully I can finish it next weekend with trim and move on to the floor.
20170611_211813.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back