• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Not yet, I've been kicking around what the best method would be? I'm sure the footers in the ground will likely settle so I don't want it bolted tight, maybe make a sloppy hole and don't torque it down? Also thought about a 90 degree bracket beside it that would allow movement?? It'll get done before the deck goes on.

You might want to consider putting bracing from the bottom of the verticals to the horizontals at the rock end. If someone drives on it and hit the brakes or gas hard, the whole thing will slide either into the garage or away from it.

You might want to consider putting bracing from the bottom of the verticals to the horizontals at the rock end. If someone drives on it and hit the brakes or gas hard, the whole thing will slide either into the garage or away from it.
The plan has always been to anchor it from the footings into the rock face to prevent that. No worries, more anchoring to come, just need a break from it for now..

Felt like I got a lot done over the weekend but looking at it.... or for it I'm feeling like a failure. Hours spent on the 2nd phase of the wife's honey do list... the benches, ready for final sand and finish. Upholstery guy picked up the frames and is wrapping them in leather so they should be:thumbsup:. Loving the switch to lacquer too, finally able to achieve factory quality finishes.

Cleaned up the hand me down cabinets, painted them and hung them.. perfect size. I wanted an area along that wall for welders, torches, etc and they fit right underneath perfectly. Also was able to shim it out enough to mount the stereo inside as well so it will stay clean now.

Finally secured the loft (the joists were just screwed in with 3" deck screws), I bought joist hangers and re-bent them to fit a 2 1/8" thick joist... fun stuff 28 of them. Then started hanging the tin and got the bridge painted.

More importantly we spent a day riding bikes and hanging out at the campground with the wife, kids and family.

20170903_205508.jpg

The paint cap lied.... supposed to be a bit of metallic look:BangHead:. Oh well, I like it.
20170904_185304.jpg
20170904_185321.jpg
20170904_185350.jpg
20170904_194644.jpg

Last edited:
Is it me or are you the most productive man on Earth? Damn!
I wish, I'd have more than 2 kids if I were:lol:. Trying to put in a Hail Mary sprint before my vacation so all these little things are out of the way and I can focus on laying the wife's floor and framing the addition on the garage.

(and I can focus on laying the wife and framing the addition on the garage.)

Fixed it for ya...

(and I can focus on laying the wife and framing the addition on the garage.)

Fixed it for ya...
:rofl:

Man I hope she doesn't see this, might go over like the time I thought I'd throw on some Marvin Gay.... turns out that only works in the movies lol.

Finally, the bridge deck lumber has been sawed!!!! By the end of the weekend I should be in good shape:thumbsup:.

Flooring also arrived so everything is falling in place for my vacation from work to work even more!

Thanks for sharing 747, now I'm sure the rain's coming all next week!!

Bridge at last!!!! Feels solid as a rock driving a 1,200 lbs Can Am across it so it's good to go. Need to build hand rails and fill in a small gap at the front but that's about it.

Moved onto the kitchen table with the chairs and benches done, the wife wanted an extra foot added to the width.... I was fortunate to salvage enough hickory from a rotted board to get it done. Should wrap it up in a few days.

Also finished hanging the white tin on the bottom of the loft for easy cleaning and a bright work area. Started running conduit for lighting as well, likely T8s.... T5s I think would be to bright and I already have a couple fixtures that might get the LED bulbs.
20170909_195649.jpg
20170909_182602.jpg
20170909_182931.jpg
20170909_195155.jpg
20170910_192721.jpg
20170910_192716.jpg
20170910_192721.jpg

Finally inching away from the honey do list and managed to deal with the upstairs garage door. So here's the fix for rain getting on the outside lip and running into the upstairs under the door. I called a local steel supplier and had them bend 1/8" think galvanized steel to give me a 3/4" drip edge and a 3/4" inside lip with 1" of slope in the 14" depth then welded caps on the ends.... No more worries. For support I just cut a bunch of wedges out of treated lumber and slid them under every foot
20171008_160849.jpg

looking very good fantastic work and by the way the honey doo list is never done :thumbsup:

After 5 weeks I finally sat at my kitchen table again ahhh... Finally my place of relaxation is becoming a home again:thumbsup:.

Can't express how much I love this floor too, way more colorful and full of character than that nasty red oak floor we had, home looks completely different now.
All this means one thing, the garage will be getting back underway soon but likely with no funding!
20171008_155026.jpg
20171001_171728.jpg

20171010_195030.jpg

looking very good fantastic work and by the way the honey doo list is never done :thumbsup:
Tell me about it but this turned out to be a huge project, pretty sure she'll cut me some slack now.

These 2 pictures show the detail a bit better. Oh yeah and she already covered a huge amount of it with a rug???:rolleyes: I really don't get it...
20170922_221746.jpg
20171001_171750.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back