• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Rain, rain, rain, rain.. you get the point, nothing is more aggravating then when mother nature won't let up! Goal is to set trusses this weekend (40% chance of rain all weekend), to do so I need to build a header for the 16ft garage door but whataya know my tarp leaked and the lumber is soaked. I'll be gluing and screwing 2X10s and 3/4" plywood together to form the 32" tall beam (2 layers of ply and 3 layers of 2Xs) so it has to be dry.... it's all stacked inside now so figures crossed it's dry by tomorrow night.

Of course all of the rain garrantees that it will be a muddy mess no matter what... crawling around on beams with muddy feet.. wonderful!!

On a plus note, my supplier quoted the roof at $700 and the siding around $600... that might be doable before winter fully sets in:thumbsup:. Next year will be a garage door and concrete to finish it up.

"Next year will be a garage door and concrete to finish it up."

Your starting to sound like me...except mine is insulation and drywall...and lights...and wiring...concrete apron...sidewalk....nevermind...now I'm depressed...

"Next year will be a garage door and concrete to finish it up."

Your starting to sound like me...except mine is insulation and drywall...and lights...and wiring...concrete apron...sidewalk....nevermind...now I'm depressed...
Lol
O.k. I need to put in a toilet, sink, water pump, hot water heater then since I'm thinking I'll use the 24x24 for painting it will need insulated and finished in metal.. feel better?

No...you just reminded me I also have to buy and install everything to hook up the in floor heating...Maybe a little whiskey will help...:BangHead:

No...you just reminded me I also have to buy and install everything to hook up the in floor heating...Maybe a little whiskey will help...:BangHead:
Rum works better:thumbsup:.

Surprised I got as much done as I did considering. Built the beam Friday night but left a layer off for the install.... yeah it made me pucker when I grabbed it haha. In the picture there's 2 loose boards laying on top to make the 3rd layer (short pieces weren't cut yet).

20171102_191407.jpg

Sat was absolutely beautiful despite the forecast but had to wait on help to set the beam so I was at others mercy. Spent most of the day working on other things until they showed, by the time it was up there was only enough time to install the top plates before dark. Woke up early today determined to right the wrongs of a lost day by setting the trusses myself so up went the scaffolding and out came the wife.... "are you coming with me today... really would like you too"? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
:BangHead::BangHead::mad::mad::mad::mad:!@#$%^... Are you freaking kidding me!!!!

The weather was showing that I had a window in the morning and now I have to leave!! Got back home ticked off with an hour before I had to go to church and got every single truss up and half of them secured in place:D:D:D. My dad heard me working and came over, he saved me a bunch of energy and time by handing up the trusses.:thumbsup:

20171105_170611.jpg

Last edited:
All but the last one is in place now:thumbsup:. I'll build the 1ft overhang onto the last truss tonight and hopefully get it hung as well then it's time for purlins. Hoping for a finished roof this weekend.

All but the last truss went up Monday and got the eves built onto the last truss last night. Should get it set as soon as I get some help then purlins. Metals going on this weekend!!!

20171107_163432.jpg

I've decided this is where I'll be doing the body and paint work so I'll be looking into ideas prior to finishing it. Anybody ever paint in a downdraft booth? Thinking about putting in grading where it can serve as a drain for washing but can easily be capped off and used for pulling out fumes using blowers outside tied into the traufs? Instead of building a metal room I'll likely just make it handy to hang plastic.. I've had better results using plastic.

Got a roof:thumbsup:. After Friday night I wasn't sure I would get much done.... went Coon hunting with my boy and father in law and was out until 3:00 am:eek:!! My boy did shoot his first Coon, actually it was his first kill ever.

Woke up at Noon, my brother and brother in law weren't far behind. We knocked out the last truss, purlins and had the roof on well before dark:thumbsup:.
20171112_163934.jpg

After looking at the backside I'm pretty sure I'll be extending the roof out 12 more feet for the tractor and implement. Really tempting to close it in as well to make it 24X36?

20171112_164000.jpg

Last edited:
It's a sure thing that I'll add 12 ft behind the garage but the question now is do I close it in???? If left only a roof it will be great for the tractor and boat, if closed in then do I just put the boat and tractor inside and add another garage door in the back?

It's a sure thing that I'll add 12 ft behind the garage but the question now is do I close it in???? If left only a roof it will be great for the tractor and boat, if closed in then do I just put the boat and tractor inside and add another garage door in the back?
I say close it in. Garage door.

I say close it in. Garage door.
Tough call, it will be tight squeezing it all in there if closed in plus I plan on painting in it where smaller would be a plus when it comes time to heat it... decisions?

Used some of my Thanksgiving time away from work to finally seal off the one last hole for heat to escape. I was going to do a nice smooth matching angle but figured might as well make more storage. Also started hanging tin in the upstairs since I was given several sheets then put in some bicycle hooks to clean it up.
20171126_204133.jpg

20171126_204101.jpg

No work on the garage, with the shift in weather all attention has been turned to HEAT!!! After tallying up the total cost of a unit heater and a nice woodstove plus additional propane use I started looking at outdoor woodburners again. Before it never added up but now with an additional building to heat and the initial cost of the heater and woodburner it's looking like the best choice. With that decision made I've been researching, talking to people who have them and visiting the dealerships.... ground work starts in 2 days.

I have a huge boulder sitting right between the garage and house, the boiler will be tucked behind in order to keep it out of sight and will be just over 100' from both. Picking up a small hoe tomorrow, with the rental store being closed Fri-Mon I have it 4 days for a single day fee:thumbsup:. Plan is to have the lines in by Sat then prep for a pad and pour the slab Tuesday... in 20 degree weather:eek:.

Super exited!! I settled on a unit that will heat the whole house, the 32X34 garage bay and run a radiant heated floor in the paint booth.:thumbsup:
Screenshot_20171205-175153.png

Auto Transport Service
Back