• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody Out There An A Body Guru?

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
Hello Gents, anybody out there on FABO?
We plan on setting up an account over there if we secure the car but wanted to inquire here first.

We are in negotiations with a family member for a 71 Duster that is in fairly rough shape. Being a family member affords us the luxury of being able to beat him up a bit on price.
Base model, 318, 3 speed manual, interior shot, engine hasn't fired since 1989 but ran when it was parked. Body in relatively good shape.

We need a ballpark number of what any of you A Body gurus think its worth. We're thinking $1,000 max. Are we wrong? Are we high?

I'm thinking this would would be a cool project car for a 16 year old. He is totally into it as well. He passed on a big block Challenger for the Duster which means he has the passion for it.
Any advice is appreciated.

duster 1.jpg Duster 3.jpg Duster 5.jpg Duster 6.jpg Duster 8.jpg View attachment 501142

Last edited:
Im not an a-body guru but i do peruse the used car section on a weekly basis and can tell you any 71 duster thats not a rust bucket is well worth a grand. I see guys all day long trying to get 8k for rough slant six cars. Based on the pic it looks like most of the car is there. As long as the frame rails are not shot it should be a great project.

Swap the 3 to a 4, fix the interior, rebuild the engine, disc brake conversion, depending on the rear axle (upgrade to 8 3/4) big bolt pattern.

1k seems a fair price for both parties.

You are a little light on price.
Don't know where the car is from (looks like high desert), but same as B bodies, if the rails, rockers, floors are good- it's gold to an A body guy. A V-8, manual relatively RUST FREE Duster is 4 K + $ all day long.
Interior, mechanical, etc are all easy fixes, but rust ALWAYS wins.
If it's in good shape body wise, and you can pick it for 1K, don't pass on it. An A body guy won't, including me.

You are a little light on price.
Don't know where the car is from (looks like high desert), but same as B bodies, if the rails, rockers, floors are good- it's gold to an A body guy. A V-8, manual relatively RUST FREE Duster is 4 K + $ all day long.
Interior, mechanical, etc are all easy fixes, but rust ALWAYS wins.
If it's in good shape body wise, and you can pick it for 1K, don't pass on it. An A body guy won't, including me.
Thanks for the input Wacko. Eastern Colorado car it's entire life. Not the high desert but close enough. No cancer here.

If it is solid and not needing much metalwork, it is worth more than 1K. I recently sold a 70 Duster that was a major project for $6750. And that was without a motor, bell housing, or functioning rear end. If you pass on that one, send me the contact info and I will take it.

I Guess we are all right on the prices, What I see is easy $1500.00, The asking price in Texas for the car would probably be at least $2500.00, or more, the 340 cars sell mutch higher but there is no shortage of base Dusters......One of the hottest cars Plymouth ever sold........as far as Chrysler's sells go,.... Looks Solid and Complete. Good Luck, Luv to see it on Forabodies in the future...

I Guess we are all right on the prices, What I see is easy $1500.00, The asking price in Texas for the car would probably be at least $2500.00, or more, the 340 cars sell mutch higher but there is no shortage of base Dusters......One of the hottest cars Plymouth ever sold........as far as Chrysler's sells go,.... Looks Solid and Complete. Good Luck, Luv to see it on Forabodies in the future...
Thanks for the input SgtLee, are you over there on FABO?
We'll be over there sooner than later.

Thanks for the input SgtLee, are you over there on FABO?
We'll be over there sooner than later.
Building a Bird currently, but I have a restored 72 340 Duster, Currently needing engine work Long Story, But I started there and ended up here...

I have an account on FABO. Very active board with lots of topics and help. I'd recommend it.

70/71 Dusters are the cream of the crop. The 4spd pedals in an A-body can go for $250. If that car is what it looks, and you get it for a grand, you better watch the mirror for the cops! As said, a solid A-body is not cheap, especially 70/71's. And if the boy likes it, that's a bonus. He'll have an awesome first car. And a stick to boot!

I'm on FABO too. Come on over. Get it for a grand? You could part it out and double or triple your money. Looks pretty solid in the pics you posted. Keep us posted. tmm

I'd say it's a $1500-2000 car just by what you said . There cool I've had a few but keep in mind they are still expensive to build and resell is horrible. I'm trying to sell off a extremely nice duster now for a friend of mine it's a clean rust free car but sadly it's a /6 but the ac does work he's wanting $10,500 and no bites yet I'd say it should be worth more but a body's aand the economy are strange! If you don't buy that car please give up the information there's plenty that will buy it quickly. Is there a title? That might cause problems titles are extremely hard to get now and very expensive. Good luck if you want a back-up duster let me know at 10k you could buy it and do a v 8 swap and probably be ok still with your investment

The difficulty of getting a title depends on the state that you are in. In California, as shitty as this state is for politics and regulations, it is actually pretty easy. I have obtained titles through lien sales, statements of facts, bill of sales, etc.
I currently have a 71 Duster out back that I've owned since 2007, just waiting its turn to get restored and sold. It was bought for $250 with a trashed interior and a non running 318. It needs work as they all do but I fully expect it to draw good money when I sell it some day.

A premo matching numbers 70-71 340 A-body is worth about 27-29 grand tops.

BUT, upon closer scrutiny of your pictures, it looks to me that the side marker lights are raised, which makes that Duster either a 72, or it could be a 73 with an earlier front bumper. There's a reason that car was put out to pasture and countless thousands and thousands of dollars will need to go into that car. However, if it's solid and has a title, pay as little as little as you can for it as you don't want to get financially buried in it. A thousand maximum sounds right to me.

duster-8-jpg.jpg

FABO is a great group of members everyone is willing to help out wish I found the site sooner.

Your son has a good eye for the better value. :thumbsup:
There is nothing really peculiar to A bodies that you probably don't know.
(Except small bolt pattern wheels maybe)
I put almost 80 miles a day on one and have built several.
Don't know if that makes me an expert.
That car will probably need disk.
Did you say?
Back in the day I could get a disk front end out in an hour in the junk yard with hand tools.
It was odd the cars I found with factory anti sway bars.
I've got a good low back green front seat hanging in the barn if you need it. (Humor)
Naw, the best thing about that car is it has high back front seats. (More humor)
Just recover them.
They made "Delux" high back seats with an armrest too.
Oh, and buy the car quick for 1K.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys.
It sounds like we're in the right ballpark, maybe a little better on our side. The seller is down to $1,300 so I think we'll land somewhere in the middle. Again, family member. He has so many cars tucked in various places but he is one of those guys that won't let any of it go...almost hoarder type. He thinks he'll restore them all someday when he "retires". Farmers / Ranchers never retire, especially in my family. Most of it will probably just rot into the ground.

Good point on side markers RC. I'll look into it, not that it makes a difference. We'll flush everything a few times, drop the pan, new fuel tank and lines, re-build the carb, fuel pump, battery, ignition tune up and I bet she fires right up. Headers, maybe a clutch, brakes, throw an interior in it, new windshield, tires and rims, sand and prime the surface rust spots and drive it. My son can take it from there.

Yes there is a title, he's looking for it. :lol:
We're using that as a bargaining chip. A salvage title is pretty easy to get here.
Thanks again all.

Auto Transport Service
Back