• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running Hughes STL-3842 cam???

Found this article last night which is almost identical to my build... I would be pretty happy with these numbers...
://www.google.com/amp/www.hotrod.com/articles/mopar-440-update/amp/

116_0205_mopar02_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have that exact cam in my build, but it is still on the engine stand. Pistons are KB 237s, Stealth heads, 10.3 c.r., 1.5 Crane Ductile rockers, EDM lifters. I went solid because they are easy to set up and I don't have to worry about hydraulic tappet issues. I don't mind the noise!

Everyone I seem to talk to on the phone asks if it is a roller cam because of the spring open pressure lol. I just ordered my pushrods but my next step is checking valve relief.

Our builds are very close only I am using a Holley Street Dominator intake. I'll be watching this one!

10.4, RPM 84 cc heads Comp Promag 1.5 rockers 925 double springs , RPM intake, KB236 pistons, 800 cfm carb. 3.73, 3000 converter, 28" tire
Thank you guys for the input!

FYI, the KB236 pistons are stepped pad pistons so if you run a closed chambered head such as the RPM's the pad will need to be milled down. Same piston otherwise as the KB 237 which is a flat top.

I wondered if I might, even though I have the 84cc heads. It's not a big deal either way as I was going to tear the motor apart to have it cleaned anyway, and a friend owns a machine shop across the street.
I'm still unsure of the piston( I can't read the number on them). So the only thing I was going off of was the step measurement .075,/ CH 2.067, but the part I'm missing is that the 236s show valve reliefs, while mine has a trough like the 184s which show to be .140/1.992.
Either way I can make it work with and get very close to what their set up is with minimal effort.

I wondered if I might, even though I have the 84cc heads. It's not a big deal either way as I was going to tear the motor apart to have it cleaned anyway, and a friend owns a machine shop across the street.
I'm still unsure of the piston( I can't read the number on them). So the only thing I was going off of was the step measurement .075,/ CH 2.067, but the part I'm missing is that the 236s show valve reliefs, while mine has a trough like the 184s which show to be .140/1.992.
Either way I can make it work with and get very close to what their set up is with minimal effort.

Yea, the 236 and 237 have symmetrical valve cuts. Probably different ones then. Mine are set .009" in the hole, no decking done.
20170411_142013.jpg

Here is a video of it running after break in. It isn't too lumpy but sounds good. I haven't really got out and ran it hard for the lack of good rubber and hot weather. Initial is at 21*, total 35*, idle rpm at 950.

i would just run that cam you have, it will knock your socks off, those grinds work pretty good. i had the 268 EX in a 440 20 yrs ago when they started grinding them, and it was awesome. i gave that cam to a friend two years ago to replace a .509 that **** a lobe, and he loves it.

my only beef with Hughes is that they are the middle man in regards to their cams, they dont make or design them. i bought that grind your looking at in a hydraulic roller 2yrs ago, the cam cam defective, the fuel pump cam was not machined properly. i sent it back, then they sent it back to Howards cams (who makes the rollers, and possibly all Hughes cams) and they took care of it...but just a lot of drama. it too so long i ended up getting a cam from Lunati.

if you look on Howards cams cataloge you will probably find a similar grind that Hughes has for a few bucks cheaper...but you cant buy directly from Howards, you have to go through a dealer like Competition Products. are you kinda seeing where im going with this?

to me, if you have ANY drama you want to be able to deal with the guy making your stuff and not have to get on the Ferris wheel of the supply chain.

if you really want to run a soild cam, get a custom grind, and deal directly.

Auto Transport Service
Back