• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the new 71-74 console plates worth the price?

manic_mopar

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
So im finally converting my center console from auto to manual, and im now in the search for a manual top plate for my 73 RR. I can get a new repro fron year one or classic Ind for over 200 bucks. That seems insanely high for a stamped piece of metal.

I look on ebay and i have seen a bunch, but theyre all for the auto. Any suggestions from the community on where some of yall have sourced these? Is it time to go slogging through junkyards? Thanks!

Far as I know Tony Parts is the only one making them. They are a tad to long and really tight in their console but fit an original one pretty good. I've used several of them including one today.

20170605_153419.jpg

Tonys part is far superior then the rest ! I've had a guy at a swap meet with a bunch of different ones I had one from Tony with me (friend needed it) and it's night and day the quality! It's like buying a bmw and getting a auti with tony the rest it's like buying a bmw and getting a shiny new kia that had fancy badges on it but they basically gutted it so you had the look and that's it!!

I'm not going to lie Tony is not cheap!!!! Buy you get what you pay for I rather buy one good part then 4 Chinese repops that fall apart! And if a bad or even a good repop isn't for you I'm sure Tony has the needed part he's got quite a stock !

By the way congrats on finishing up the 4 speed conversion

Thanks guys! i'll check out tonys parts and see what I can come up with!

I had a local carpenter make me a real wood console insert (alder wood) for $25.00 labor/materials. Of course, those are Mexican wages. He had a leftover piece of wood the perfect size already there in his shop when I first went to see him. I coated the bottom with a two part epoxy (black/white) for added strength/longevity. Today I finally drilled the mounting holes (4 total) and made a trial fitting. I believe some year consoles use five mounting holes. i also had him make me a real wood passenger side dash applique (where the A/C vents would have been on an A/C equipped car.
DSC00519.JPG
DSC00570.JPG
DSC00565.JPG

Last edited:
Wow that looks awesome. A great idea! I was actually thinking of taking a plate to a local metal shop and reproduce one for me, but I'd have to buy or find a manual trans top piece just to get the dimensions right.

If I were making a metal one, I would use stainless steel. I had a local restaurant sink fabricator make me three stainless steel items: package shelf, trunk divider, and glove box. I love all of 'em equally. Not shown in the fotos is the Dynamat I placed on the package shelf underside and the back of the trunk divider.

DSC00963.JPG DSC00962.JPG DSC00559.JPG DSC00413.JPG DSC00412.JPG DSC00411.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back