• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AutoMeter tach mounting cup on steering column? Anyone?

CompSyn

Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
Wondering how this AutoMeter 3-3/8" tach mounting cup #5204 would mount to my 69 B-Body shift-on-the-column steering column without interference? Anyone try it? Would it need modified? Looks like it accepts a hose clamp or zip tie? Pics anyone?

5204_14.jpg

Yes, you use a large hose clamp thru the slots in the bracket. I did this on my 74 charger with a chrome Sun Tach. It was cramped, but worked fine.

Here is a shot of mine on my column shift. I made an aluminum foot for the mount, attached it to the tach, then hose clamp to the column. I made sure that I could use the turn signal as I mocked it all up. Hasn't moved in 2 years of driving so its ok. The foot of my tach is a bit different than yours but maybe gives you an idea. I can send you more photos if you like, just ask and I can get a better angle.

tach_mount.jpg tach_mount_2.jpg

Wondering how this AutoMeter 3-3/8" tach mounting cup #5204 would mount to my 69 B-Body shift-on-the-column steering column without interference? Anyone try it? Would it need modified? Looks like it accepts a hose clamp or zip tie? Pics anyone?

View attachment 542741
Here's a work-around for a friends C-body that I came up with. It does not touch the dash cap and is secured to the underside of the cap where there is metal.

009.JPG

In Honor of Galen Go V A, be sure that the clamp is rusty. I did.

Yes, you use a large hose clamp thru the slots in the bracket. I did this on my 74 charger with a chrome Sun Tach. It was cramped, but worked fine.
I have used the hose clamp in the past, plus I thread the hose clamp thru 1/2" shrink tube, cut the shrink tube to fit the clamp and install. I do heat the shrink tube. The shrink tube prevents marking the steering column and helps to keep the Tach from moving.

it's been some years back but I had an autometer tach mounted on the column of my '69 r/t. I used the autometer mount and clocked the tach somewhere between the 1 o'clock-2 o'clock position. I had an oil pressure gauge mounted to the left, about 10 o'clock position. this worked for me for years.

Auto Transport Service
Back