• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backyard find 1970 Charger DIY Build

Ok then I'll go $6700 but remember it's Canadian but I've increased the price .
I've also heard Iron is a big dude so I'll pay him in Canadian beer .
If you could send the heads and have them ready when he picks up that would be good .
I only doing this to help everyone out .
:lol::lol::lol:
So the auction is still open ? Ok let's see I'll give you a goat two puppys $6701a 24 pack of Coronas and iron still pick the car for me :lol::lol::lol:
Ps don't worry about the heads I'll get it machined here

Two goats and a puppy is tempting! Not sure about the corona...I'm an Olympia man myself

Alright already, $10,000, a puppy, roses for the lady and I will pick it up next weekend. :thumbsup:

Okay, now we need a picture of aforementioned girlfriend since she sounds WAY cooler than you. :lol::lol::lol:
You can definitely cut that gasket to access the freeze out plug, just prepare yourself for a nightmare if you ever remove the exhaust and try to reuse that gasket. Good luck.

:xscuseless:

You better do as he says !
You ever see the hulk movie's! That's not cgi that's iron built covered in green paint!

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!! I'd say you stole that Charger!!!! What color is that? Do you plan on driving it while fixing it up or a full blown restoration. Looks to be in nice shape as it sits, congrats!

Freeze plug out. What a pain in the butt. This is how I found it.
IMG-2317.jpg

IMG-2322.jpg

My method of installing the new brass freeze plug. Because there was no way to get a hammer or anything in there. I tried to get it as even as possible but guess what... It's slightly crooked. I don't know if I should just run it or try again.
IMG-2393.jpg

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!! I'd say you stole that Charger!!!! What color is that? Do you plan on driving it while fixing it up or a full blown restoration. Looks to be in nice shape as it sits, congrats!

DEFINITELY driving while fixing !!!!!!!!! That's why I'm trying to get all the motor work done now !

With everyone posting posting their "gender reveal party results" of their kids and lame announcements like that my girlfriend decided it was time to announce that we are having a GIRL! No kids for us yet, just a sweet project car !
its-a-girl.jpg

Congratulations my man a girl is a bless!!! Please don't sell the charger but if you must, remember there's a lot of biders for your car, two goats can give you a lot of milk, a puppy can make her happy; plus $ 6701 a 24 pack of Olympia and roses for the lady:lol: or am I confused or do i get lost in translation.

Congratulations my man a girl is a bless!!! Please don't sell the charger but if you must, remember there's a lot of biders for your car, two goats can give you a lot of milk, a puppy can make her happy; plus $ 6701 a 24 pack of Olympia and roses for the lady:lol: or am I confused or do i get lost in translation.

Ha ha thank you, The deal is tempting ! Goats and puppies rock, but a charger is a charger. New carb going on tomorrow.

Success! It's amazing what a "new" carb and a proper brake bleed job can do.

IMG-2414.jpg

IMG-2421.jpg

Well here's your problem!!!
IMG-2420.jpg

Ready to roll.
IMG-2423.jpg

So judging from my burnout the rear end is a one-legger. I'm not sure if I really want to put my disc kit on this rear diff. I'd like both wheels spinning. Hmmm

Update to the build:

*Bought a 8.75 Suregrip, redid all the gaskets (minus the pinion seal, probably going to tackle that today) put the brackets on for the disc brakes but leaving the rotors/calipers off until I paint it. Any recommendations for paint? In the past I've just used rustoleum on my 4-wheelers.

*new transmission pan gasket + filter. Still a little leaky, I will upgrade to the re-usable gasket when I pull the motor.

*new oil pan + pickup + fancy gasket. Had to persuade part of the oil pan to accept the center link but it fits cherry... Had an issue with the drain plug (of all things) hitting the oil pickup, it's close now but works fine.

*bought all new ball joints. waiting till the rain stops to put the car on jack stands and start doing the front end work.

Oil drain plug gasket was junk apparently and I came home to oil slowly dripping out all over my driveway. Popped the hood to find a rat had made its nest to the left of the carb. War began. I won.

Mellisa got the wheels, They're already mounted on the new tires but here's a picture of them. Gonna look sweet !

IMG-0065.jpg

Here's a couple pictures:
IMG-0050.jpg

IMG-0010.jpg

Too bad she can't stay in the garage.

Here's my list for the remainder of the car:

1. Get trunk keys made
2. Pull rear end, driveline, fuel lines, fuel tank.
3. Clean and undercoat from the transmission back.
4. Re-install fuel tank, new fuel lines, new rear suspension components, install new rear end.
5. Clean and undercoat all areas where brake and fuel lines go.
6. Install new braking system, replace ball joints, put new tires/wheels on.
7. Burnouts
8. Pull motor and transmission
9. Tear interior out.
10. Body, paint
11. Rebuild motor, add power steering.
12. New wiring harness, stereo wiring.
13. Put motor and transmission back in.
14. Install interior
15. More burnouts.

Fixed the key not coming out of the ignition. The linkage next to the firewall that should have been attached to the transmission was not attached to the transmission... there was no "column lock front rod" in place.
linkage-jpg.jpg

img-3181-jpg.jpg

wire wheeled and painted the rear diff. Taking it in the AM to get a trunk key made tomorrow then it's going on jack stands and big things are happening.

Auto Transport Service
Back