• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bars

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:50 AM
Reaction score
How many sizes are there for the torsion bars. Or are they all the same.

How many sizes are there for the torsion bars. Or are they all the same.

The better questions is what do you want to achieve handling wise with your car. The bars can range from .88" - 1.18. The aftermarket has created many options for improved handling.

Thanks
James

The better questions is what do you want to achieve handling wise with your car. The bars can range from .88" - 1.18. The aftermarket has created many options for improved handling.

Thanks
James
Just want the car to handle well i am building it for the street and running a 440 with auto. How can i tell whats in mine. The car had a 318 in it

Measure the od of the bars with a dial caliper.

Ok got it thanks will handle that this weekend

Also '62 to '72 had different color paint markings on them. "Chart at the end of this thread" that I posted earlier.

67 318 you would have the next to the smallest size usually .86 Big Blocks may have had .88 unless you were a station wagon or cop car, or trailer tow, etc
If you are shopping pick a part look for a wagon with a trailer hitch thru 72
wide wheels and radial tires need bigger bars to keep the tread flat on the road
bars are available up to about 1/8- usually 1.24" bigger bars would be larger than the hex (but its been done for road racing)
1.1, 1.030 .960

anyone know what the AAR cudas or the TA Challengers used
I had moved over to AMC by then
I think they had to remove the crossmember to get the big bars in as they would not fit through the hex
I can remember having to loosen up the front a arms to get some bars in but I can't remember if this was for Road Race or the little bars for drag racing- keep that in mind if you find they do not want to go in the crossmember- or you might have to take the rubber bumpers off to let the a-arm drop down a little- shocks too
I forget- remind me when you get that far

Thanks for the input sorry for late response. Headed to the project this weekend to do the measurements etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back