• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belt just snapped!

alextucker

Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
I only put a new belt on the water pump last year and today while putting the foot down it ripped. Checked it for sign of other wear but it looks brand new. Have not had time to look into it further yet, I just put a new belt on, water up and got her home.

Any ideas what I should be looking for that would have caused that?

Recent jobs include new carb, new front shocks and new fuel lines so can't see any of them affecting it.

Oh and any good places to buy a belt kit?

Does the fan have a clutch on it? Its possible that the fan clutch is failing and locked up. Same for the water pump if the bearings are going or a vein broke off and lodge in the other veins it could cause sudden resistance and the belt could snap like that. You might also inspect the belt again and see if you can find the splice point. If you cant' see where it was spliced it means it broke at the splice and ultimately you probably just got a faulty belt that slipped past the QC checks.

Thanks guys, I think the belt was good as it was a nasty angry rip rather than a slice or failure. I'll check the fan and water pump bearings. I have a new electric fan that I'll put in either way now, the water pump is just a year old so it should be ok but I'll give it a good check, thanks again guys.

I have had issues with large automotive store brand Made in China belts before. NAPA belts have held up best in my experience.

Just as a double-check, how is your pulley alignment?

If you had a Quanta repro belt this would be par for the course.

Make sure you don't have it way too tight.

Auto Transport Service
Back