• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belvedere Project Update

plumwagon

Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Over a year ago (Ugh) I posted pictures of my 66 Belvedere project and wanted to share an update. Last Tuesday I had the privilege of spending the day with Brian Hafliger at IMM Engines, in Indio Ca to have the motor he built for me on the dyno. I had a pretty tall order as I wanted to be able to run low ten second 1/4 times and still be able to drive it on the street with California 91 octane fuel. The new motor is 496 CI 10:1 compression and made 670hp and 610ft lb tq. Very happy with Brian and IMM as they did an outstanding job. Not sure how to post the 7K RPM dyno pull video (Newb), can't wait to get the motor back in the car and see what she will do. I found IMM Engines thanks to this forum!

IMG_2487.jpgIMG_2488.jpgIMG_2490.jpgIMG_1879.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg IMG_2488.jpg IMG_2490.jpg IMG_1879.jpg

Nice car/engine ****...LOL
Budnicks likey...

Thanks Budnicks! It's rough not to have been able to drive her for almost a year. And like everyone knows it's expensive to go fast especially with a Mopar! I'm very excited, like a school boy, to get the new motor in.

Thanks Budnicks! It's rough not to have been able to drive her for almost a year. And like everyone knows it's expensive to go fast especially with a Mopar! I'm very excited, like a school boy, to get the new motor in.

Looks like a fantastic motor. Can't wait to hear the results at the track.
There should be no question about it running lower than 10.50...you just have to make sure it "hooks" to get low 1.40 or 1.30 60 foot times.

Plum.....PLEASE SHARE WITH US YOUR COMPLETE BUILD:
1) Rear End Type and Ratio
2) RR tire size and type
3) Converter stall
4) 496"
5) 10-1 CR
6) Cam -solid or roller and specs
7) Heads and flow
8) INDY Rocker Arm Ratio:
9) INDY SINGLE PLANE MAX WEDGE PORTS
10) 1050 Carb: BRAND-
11) Header Brand and Tube size
12) MSD DIST

13) Rear Suspension system (for traction) and you will sure need it....

I'm with Mike. Please share your combo. Excellent dyno results with 10.1, are you running flat tops or dished pistons and what cc are your heads?

Brian's a sharp builder. As usual with his builds, nice results.
Doug

Looks great and makes some nice hp and torque. I want that black Dominator carb ! And yes share the combo with us please. Ron

Hello Mike / Malex /dvw and 383man! Coil overs in the rear with Alston ladder bars, Dana 60, Moser with 456 spool, 31X14.50 MT/ET, 727, 5500 converter, 500" 440, 10:1 Ross diamond Pistons, scat crank, Ported Indy SR heads flowed 370, full roller solid with T&D 1.6 rockers, Isky cam, TTI 2 1/8 headers, Indy intake, 1050 dominator, MSD 6alPlus Made 670hp and 610 TQ on pump gas. Wilwood disc all around. I have a brand new Griner transbrake in the box, just not sure I want to install it with as much street driving I'm planning on doing. I got the new motor in yesterday, few issues with brand new out of the box 1050 Dominator, it fired right up but is not running quite right yet. One more day with it and I should be smoking the tires!! Thanks For Asking!!

Plum.....Don't hesitate...put the transbrake in.Be a man..lol
I think you will find popular opinion that just because you have a transbrake wont hurt your street driving..in fact, I am going to start a thread in Racers Forum right now asking about just that.

Thanks for the reply Mike! I'm going to hold off for at least a few weeks while I get everything else dialed in. I have the 1000hp rated BeCool radiator with twin 13" Spal electric fans that for the first few drives with the new motor was not cooling it adequately. I drained all coolant and went to distilled water and water wetter only which put me 185-190 cruising and 195-200 at traffic lights. Having two other small problems with belt throwing at 7k rpms and new powermaster one wire alternator not fully charging Optima battery. Real excited to get to the track see what she will run, its a handful on the street but a perma smile every time I get to drive her. Thanks for all the suggestions!

HP

Nice build.I have a 67 Belvedere 1 .It is absolutely mint.I built a 496 for it about 7 or 8 years ago.Hughes engines sold me all the parts and spec'd it all out for me.It is a 13.4 compression ratio, Diamond dome pistons,Hughes H beam rods,Eddy RPM heads CNC'd by hughes,84cc chambers,victor intake cnc'd by Hughes,1050 dominator by Bigs (REALLY NICE WORKING)Hughes solid roller cam, It dyno'd at 735hp and 700 torque,410 Dana 60. My car with me in it weighs 4100lbs. Best run on this motor was 10.80 @ 125 mph. That engine drove 1000 miles on the street and 100's and 100's of passes.Wish i had counted them.Its a lot.This was all on 94 octane pump gas , timing at 32 degs.Dave spec'd the cam to keep cranking cylinder pressure to less than 200psi.It was 195 psi.Very smart man ! It is now being refreshed.The reason for that is a cylinder wall cracked.1 new sleeve,new rings and bearings, gaskets etc. and it will be good to go. After some searching i have found out that when you start to push 440 blocks sometimes one of the front sleeves have been known to crack. I am thinking of hard blocking it to stop this.Not sure maybe a half fill ?I am also putting old car and me on a diet . LOL Good luck with your beautiful car. It is nice to see these old ones looking so nice !

Thanks reeltime! That's an awesome motor you have! I got tired of paying for race fuel so this go around I had it built specifically for crappy California 91 octane fuel! My car with me in it is just at 3600 pounds. It's only got about ten street miles on it so far, it's an absolute blast to drive as you know!

Thanks for the reply Mike! I'm going to hold off for at least a few weeks while I get everything else dialed in. I have the 1000hp rated BeCool radiator with twin 13" Spal electric fans that for the first few drives with the new motor was not cooling it adequately. I drained all coolant and went to distilled water and water wetter only which put me 185-190 cruising and 195-200 at traffic lights. Having two other small problems with belt throwing at 7k rpms and new powermaster one wire alternator not fully charging Optima battery. Real excited to get to the track see what she will run, its a handful on the street but a perma smile every time I get to drive her. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I was running the same temperatures as you, in the 200 mark with the electric fan set up. I switched to a 19" clutch fan and my temps never get higher than 185 now. Since then I have built a shroud, which will help more. image.jpgimage.jpg

malex, just got done looking at pictures of your car and all I can say is WOW! Your car is bad ***! If I could build a shroud like that I would be all over it. I am sure I am just prolonging the inevitable but that radiator and fan was not cheap! Can you please tell me which fan and clutch you have? Also I am looking for that upper and lower radiator hose you have and can not find one, do you know the make and part number for it? Thanks for your help!

malex, just got done looking at pictures of your car and all I can say is WOW! Your car is bad ***! If I could build a shroud like that I would be all over it. I am sure I am just prolonging the inevitable but that radiator and fan was not cheap! Can you please tell me which fan and clutch you have? Also I am looking for that upper and lower radiator hose you have and can not find one, do you know the make and part number for it? Thanks for your help!

Hello. The fan blade that I run on my Plymouth is #3462186. It actually measures 19.5" across, so it fills your rad area right up. I couldn't see the part number on the clutch but that should not be a problem to match up. A shroud will complete the package for good cooling, grab some aluminum and get creative. I'll attach a pic of my shroud in build stage. I ended up making mine a 2-piece, the bottom detaches from the rest of it, easy to slide into place now.
Unfortunately I cannot help you out with the rad hose part number but I'll have a closer look in case there is something on it.
Here's a couple of pics of my template and then my shroud in build stage. image.jpgimage.jpg

I have the "Be Cool" Radiator and twin fans (and shroud) on my setup. Works great. I posted a picture of my top radiator hose for your information. I can use any hose (with the correct diameter) as replacement tieing into my custom made aluminum tubing section.

Attachments

• rad hose 2.jpg
    rad hose 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 744
  • rad hose 3.jpg
    rad hose 3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 736
  • fan 1.jpg
    fan 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 736
Hey Mike, thanks for the pictures. I do not have the shroud with my setup so I called BeCool and asked them if I could order it. Just ordered a Quickfuel FX 4700, 1050 to replace three circuit dominator that was giving me problems (The FX 4700 is a 2 circuit). Mike, what thermostat are you running and what mix of coolant?

What a shame you spent money on a new carb.I run a 3 circuit Dominator and it works outstanding.We did change the air bleeds a bit but once you get it they work awsome.

Auto Transport Service
Back