• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belvedere Project Update

Mike your car awesome! I will get there just need to figure out a few problems as I wanted to drive my car on the street on a regular basis. My engine builder suggested I go from 34 to 37 timing with good gas on my next drag race outing. I am however a little surprised that the new radiator did not fix my problem. Like Budnicks suggested maybe it just need to be a little richer. The guy from Wizard told me the radiator that I bought from them is what they sell to Mopar customers with 900hp blown big block Hemi's. Thanks for the info on the timing, you got that 10.40 covered come cool weather!

I would love to have a bling radiator setup like that! Just have to put the fans on the pusher side.I have a stock tank 26 inch radiator that has been recored with the high efficiancy core.The fans were from an early 90's GM switching the wires to change them to pushers.Cruzin it runs around 185*,when it's hot out like today is might go as high as 200*.h
"It cools 1000 hp blown hemi's" sounds like a sales pitch. My CR is 8:1 untill the boost kicks in.Betcha your rad is at least 30 lbs lighter than mine!

3.21.16 012.jpg 5.10.15 034.jpg 5.13.15 009.jpg 5.19.12 011.jpg

HEMI-ITIS, really admire your car, that thing is bad ***! I know the new radiator is good, and last night I took your advise and fattened it up a little. I don't have an air fuel gauge yet but it's on the to buy list. I also bumped up the timing to 36 and those two things seemed to help. Didn't get a chance to drive it but sitting in 105 degree heat in the driveway it stayed just under the 200 mark which is better than it was. The new radiator is not light, 55lbs

Thanks!My rad must be under 100,,,,,,,,cause I can lift it:lol:
Too much timing can make it hot too. Time to learn how to read plugs!

Last edited:
HEMI-ITIS, really admire your car, that thing is bad ***! I know the new radiator is good, and last night I took your advise and fattened it up a little. I don't have an air fuel gauge yet but it's on the to buy list. I also bumped up the timing to 36 and those two things seemed to help. Didn't get a chance to drive it but sitting in 105 degree heat in the driveway it stayed just under the 200 mark which is better than it was. The new radiator is not light, 55lbs

PLUM...if you can sit and let it idle in 105 degree weather sitting in the driveway and the water temp gauge doesn't go over 200 degrees I would say you are in pretty good shape....but the test is too let it idle for at least 30 minutes to see if water temp stays at 200 degrees or less.
It will probably take about 15-20 minutes for the water temp to go from stone cold up to 200 degrees, but, like I said, the test is letting it idle for another 15-20 minutes and see if the water temp stays 200 degrees, or less. Good Luck.
For your future information: an electric fuel pump (like a Meziere HD) wont keep the water temp cooler for average street driving. A belt driven water pump will pump more water at 2500+RPM than an electric water pump.

Thanks Mike! This coming weekend I will be able to give it a road test in 100+ heat. Mike are you using an air fuel ratio gauge if so which one?

Plum ,
I run a AFCO crossflow radiator in my 68 . 5 blade Mopar Performance clutch fan and a 12" electric on the front side with a dash switch . Car is a daily driver and bracket racer . Even in 100 plus heat in traffic I have never seen over 215 .As soon as I get moving it comes straight down . radiator been in about 6 years . I do have a six pack scoop and don't use the air plate on the street , that does help some . I do not use a thermostat .
Mine is a 10.75/8:1 440 , timing is 40 . 22 initial , 18 in the MSD in at 2200 . I use straight pump gas - 98 here , I think that is the same as your 95 ? Different rating methods .

Tex

Tex, thanks for the good info. Do you know how much horsepower your motor is putting out?

Need some good advise on cooling. I went and did the thing I hate most and threw parts at my cooling problem to end up in the same place. I had the be cool 1000hp radiator with twin 13" spal fans, mopar performance water pump, 180 thermostat and the car constantly overheated on short drives both at a standstill and while moving. After talking to several people I was told the be cool radiator would not cool my car in hot California weather. Pulled the be cool out and ordered a Wizard 26" radiator with upgraded 1.25 core tubes with integrated shroud with twin 1500cfm fans (not cheap). while it was out I installed a flow cooler water pump, mildon high flow 180 thermostat. End story still overheating but now mostly while sitting still (210-230) My timing is set at 35 and plugs are spot on. Water wetter and bottled water for the radiator, 16lb cap. Completely frustrated at this point! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 350920 View attachment 350921

Hey Plumbwagon, I was wondering if you went with the integrated mounts for the fan because of space constraints or looks. I am looking at the Wizard fan setup but i'm running a Mezier water pump and hopefully a CVF Sepentine setup Like Moparcrazy is running on his 65. So have some questions:

Plumbwagon,
  • How much space do you have between your current single serpentine alternator belt and electric fan motor.
  • Do you think there is enough room to run the non integrated fan setup that Wizard sells? Even better the Paddle fans they offer? I know they offer three versions, The integrated setup that you have (The thinnest) The Non Integrated version (A bit thicker) and Paddle fans (The Thickest and highest CFM)
  • What opening size is your car 22" or 26" Mine is 22" but planning on running 26" Radiator, Do you see any problems with that.
MoparCrazy,
  • How much farther does the double power steering serpentine stick out than the single alternator belt.
  • I do not see your version with electric water pump on CVF's website did you call and order?

At the end of the day I want This:
230701-02bbcda12da65615556a5c848048c6ff.jpg

With This but non integrated version:
img_2917-jpg.350920

IMG_3359.JPG
IMG_3358.JPG
IMG_3357.JPG
2quick I took some pictures for you for reference. What I have now is really tight! I have 22" opening but running 26. I know in my car I could not run anything bigger than what I have. I went with the integrated fans for space and I really wanted a shroud for the extra cooling.

Thanks for your time. Wow that's alot tighter then I thought it would be but maybe without a water pump pulley and the MEZIER I might gain a little clearance. Have you made any headway with the temps yet?

Over a year ago (Ugh) I posted pictures of my 66 Belvedere project and wanted to share an update. Last Tuesday I had the privilege of spending the day with Brian Hafliger at IMM Engines, in Indio Ca to have the motor he built for me on the dyno. I had a pretty tall order as I wanted to be able to run low ten second 1/4 times and still be able to drive it on the street with California 91 octane fuel. The new motor is 496 CI 10:1 compression and made 670hp and 610ft lb tq. Very happy with Brian and IMM as they did an outstanding job. Not sure how to post the 7K RPM dyno pull video (Newb), can't wait to get the motor back in the car and see what she will do. I found IMM Engines thanks to this forum!

Very impressive! I presume those are -1 heads? Really good output at 10.0:1. Keep us posted on track performance. I'm still about 6 weeks (Minnesota climate) away from seeing what my new motor can do.

View attachment 292944View attachment 292945View attachment 292946View attachment 292947

View attachment 292944 View attachment 292945 View attachment 292946 View attachment 292947

2quick, yes the Wizard radiator did the trick! I have taken it to the track and cruised it around town and it's never been over 190. Now the real test will be this summer, I'm not sure my motor will ever stay cool during 105 outside temps no matter what I do. The Wizard is ten times better than my old BeCool radiator. We will see!

IMG_3800.PNG
IMG_3730.JPG
Few changes on the Belvedere in the last month. I went with the FiTech 1200hp system. Since I drive this on the street regularly I wanted easy hot starts and the ability to make adjustments from inside the car. I did not go with the problematic fuel command center, I redid the whole fuel system with an Aeromotive A1000 pump, with a return back to the tank. Used fragola lines and fittings. The first drive was amazing, the throttle response is unreal compared to my Quickfuel 1050. Prob lose a little on the big end, but we will see this week when I take it to the track. Also changed motor color scheme to black and aluminum. Posting in case anyone was thinking about this system and had questions.

IMG_3823.JPG
Put these on over the weekend, replaced cheap stockers. Anyone running these and have setting recommendations for best launches?

I have a Griner transbrake in a box but have not installed it yet so no transbrake. Per Viking
"19 positions of compression adjustment and 19 positions of rebound adjustment for a total of 361 different valving combinations"

Auto Transport Service
Back