• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best adjustable strut rods, upper control arms, shocks?

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
What brand is everyone using up front? in lieu of swapping out the entire k member and everything, just want to upgrade the uppers and strut rods and maybe shocks what brand is the best performer overall? PST stuff? Hotchkis? QA1?

I used qa1 strut rods and LCA's, high quality stuff. Viking double adjustable shocks all the way around, factory UCA's with poly bushings

Stock, right now its all stock with new PST bushings and KYB shocks having alignment issues seems toe in and out are out and always pulls, just got the steering box upgraded to the borgeson box now want to do just enough to get a good alignment and tight ride.

Just my opinion but if I was only going to do one I would do the lowers, they take most of the beating.

Ill check it out. I thought just adding the weld on truss plates is good enough for the stock lowers?

Plenty of guys here are using the weld on plates, I never have but im sure it holds up fine for a cruiser.

I just installed QA-1 tubular uppers, lowers and their adjustable strut rod along with new torsion bars and Viking double adjustable shocks. I did purchase the larger tie rod ends (11/16")and aluminum adjusters from PST. Along with a Firm Feel front sway bar, I'm very happy with the quality, fit/finish and overall handling and ride of the components.

DSCN0556.JPG DSCN0564.JPG DSCN0567.JPG DSCN0571.JPG DSCN0580.JPG DSCN0594.JPG DSCN0596.JPG

I set up my personal mopar just like Dave.

Only k member I'd consider is magnum force or geirst

I'm in the process of upgrading my 65 Dodge. Though the stuff is used (bought it from a member here that switched to full coilover/rack & pinion), most of it is in very good shape. Only exception was the bent shaft for the LCA on one side, I used my one of my originals from the car. I have the QA1 LCA, UCA and strut rods. Hotchkis 1'' torsion bars, PST adjusting sleeves, moog tie rod ends. Sway bar is coming soon. Drivers installed but not sure when I'll get the passenger side swapped. I'm not sure when I'll get it on the road either.

When you consider the time and effort to rehab old components, it is worth it to replace them with new updated parts.

Was just going to add upper arms, then I managed to damage a lower arm during removal, that added a couple days to the project while it shipped. Thought I could save money reusing lower arm, but did not.

Not having to scrape 46 year old crud and take time off work to run parts to shop was another plus of going new.

Oh, QA1

Last edited:
Right now I have Firm Feel Tubular UCAs with Bilstein shocks.
Firm Feel PS stage 3.
Hotchkis adjustable strut rods.
Global West Sub-frame connectors.
Hotchkis leaf springs with solid rear sway bar .75", stock front sway bar, .875".
Stock T-Bars, .875"

It's rides well, I can take corners a lot better than I could before.

Currently collecting parts for more upgrades:
Firm Feel T-Bars, 1.06"
Hellwig fron sway bar 1.375" hollow, best price I can find for a larger bar.
PST LCA kit.
PST Steering Linkage Kit, with solid steel 11/16" sleeves and tie rods.
(FYI - this is not currently listed on their website but can be ordered with the better sleeves)
Borgeson PS for better road feel.
(not going the quick ratio route as that would require new headers)
US Car Tool torque boxes.
XV inner fender braces and lower radiator support.
Looking at Hotchkis / Fox adjustable shocks, possibly QA1 or the like.
Will probably get a smaller Steering wheel as well, maybe splurge and get a Budnik that I've been looking at.

I'm already halfway upgrading the "stock" setup so I'm going to go as far as I can before I consider more expensive options.

Last edited:
Nice, I can't help but think to myself is it worth to just get a few things or go all the way? new tube k member etc the whole deal. Magnum force Ron has his set up which is proven like the QA1 kit but the $$$$$$ way out there and I really wasn't planning on road coursing or pro touring this car just want some better adjustability/handling/smoother ride. After talking with PST they said all I really needed were the adjustable strut rods so that will be a start already have the borgeson 14:1 box installed it feels pretty good but with the KYB shocks and the stock poly bushings it's kind of wasted on the stock stuff. Do want to get the frame rail connectors and torque boxes too and the Hemi skid plates. I 'm see the tube adjustable UCA's from PST looked pretty good might as well get some. Bit are the QA1 or VIKING shocks worth it or do the Bilstein's do the job?

Nice, I can't help but think to myself is it worth to just get a few things or go all the way? new tube k member etc the whole deal. Magnum force Ron has his set up which is proven like the QA1 kit but the $$$$$$ way out there and I really wasn't planning on road coursing or pro touring this car just want some better adjustability/handling/smoother ride. After talking with PST they said all I really needed were the adjustable strut rods so that will be a start already have the borgeson 14:1 box installed it feels pretty good but with the KYB shocks and the stock poly bushings it's kind of wasted on the stock stuff. Do want to get the frame rail connectors and torque boxes too and the Hemi skid plates. I 'm see the tube adjustable UCA's from PST looked pretty good might as well get some. Bit are the QA1 or VIKING shocks worth it or do the Bilstein's do the job?

I had KYB's which were ok and better than what came on the car, Bilsteins are better. Once I have all the above mentioned upgrades done, I'm going to "test" the Bilsteins out with the new setup. I've read all I could on this forum and a bunch of others and reviews on manufacturers / vendors websites on shocks, and like everything else there's varying opinions in both directions. So it really just comes down to biting the bullet and trying it first hand depending on what your end goal is. I plan on having my K-frame re-done at some point to...

With your upgrades you might want to change out the rubber to polyurethane.
I re-did my front end a while ago, but upon inspection I noticed my LCA bump stops were not looking good.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products/plymouth_roadrunner_1969
I've gotten a few items from them, of course PST has stuff as well.

My intention is to get as much handling as I can without dropping $10k+ on a coil-over setup. Doesn't mean I wont at some point, but if I can get what I want with T-bars and leaf springs, money saved which is all the better because next will be the 5/6 speed, then after that will be larger disk brakes / wheels / tires.

Last edited:
When you consider the time and effort to rehab old components, it is worth it to replace them with new updated parts.

Was just going to add upper arms, then I managed to damage a lower arm during removal, that added a couple days to the project while it shipped. Thought I could save money reusing lower arm, but did not.

Not having to scrape 46 year old crud and take time off work to run parts to shop was another plus of going new.

No.

After deliberating over what shocks to get I've decided on Hotchkis Adjustable and stick with a mono-tube.
Black Friday 25% sale was to good to pass up on a set of 4, cheaper than Summit while still paying Ca. sales tax, freight just at $16.
I already have some of their components including leaf springs, so it made it all that much easier.

Decided to buy the SPC double adjustable UCA's and QA1 adjustable strut rods, keeping the KYB's for now the SPC stuff looks great and a lot of adjustability to them should be fun to get locked in and with thread in ball joints replacing them will be a breeze. Still waiting on the QA1s but from what I hear they are stut and work well. looking forward to a nice tight ride. Just need the fram rail connectors to finish it off.

Drove around for about an hour tonight, with all the upgrades and smaller steering wheel my car drives and feels better than it ever has. More confident behind the wheel at higher speeds. This is without the inner fender support and torque boxes on. I'll have to take it to a body shop, at the same time maybe I'll do some exterior clean-up. Looking at an AAR fiberglass hood and billet hinges, possibly.

Once I get the new shocks on I'll report back with some info.

QA1 lowers
QA1 Mopar B-Body Tubular Lower Control Arm formerly Capps Automotive.jpg

QA1 dynamic/adj. strut rods
QA1 Mopar Dynamic Adj. Strut Bars 62-72 B, E Body $219.95.jpg

SPC fully adjustable Uppers
MRE SPC Fully adjustable Upper Control arms $240 each.jpg

Edelbrock EIS {?} gas shocks all 4 corners

Auto Transport Service
Back