• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Female Singer of All Time

Best Femmale Singer of all time

• Karen Carpenter

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

70rr-brian

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
Since there have been some music threads lately, let me throw this one out there. The wife and I were watching a top 100 female singers show on some channel a while back. To my utter shock, Karen Carpenter wasn't even in it. I just assumed she would be #1 and kept waiting for her to show up on the list which she never did.

Now don't get me wrong...I was never a big fan of the Carpenters music. A little too wholesome for me. But in my humble opinion no one has EVER come close to matching her pitch perfect voice. EVER. Male singers included...

But how in the f%^k do you have a top 100 female singers list and she doesn't make it?

A few years ago I wrote an e-mail to the Rock and roll hall of fame asking them why the Carpenters weren't inducted yet. Never answered me back.

No contest- ANN WILSON!

Incredible range
Velvety smooth
Can be powerful
Never too much vibrato
Not afraid to get gritty

Karen would have to be rated at the top of the list, The music they played is one thing but she had a unbelievable voice.

I'll go third for Ann Wilson...

No contest- ANN WILSON!

Incredible range
Velvety smooth
Can be powerful
Never too much vibrato
Not afraid to get gritty

was just talking about her to my wife today. She definitely ranks high. Very high

I still think Celine Dion even though not a big fan has some incredible pipes.So did whitney Houston.Carrie underwood is pretty freakin good too.
just listen to her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBSDpB3WB8

and here singing with Heart.Anne Wilson is incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7ZmaL2480

and heres celine dion singinfg it both great. shes too theatrical for me but a great voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRfapWaOKk&ob=av2e

Pat Benatar
Stevie Nicks
Christina Aguelaria

Karen definitely has my vote for one of the best voices of all time. Others I can think of are: Shirley Bassey, Etta James, Aretha Franklin and the gals already mentioned.

As soon as I heard Carrie Underwood start to sing Alone, I said "Winner"...and I was right.

1- balls (ovaries?) to try it.
2- nailed it. If you can do that, you have a music career ahead of you.

I remember reading that she and Rob Halford have something like 4.5 octave ranges.

I am a "metalhead "but I appreciate Celine Dion, and Whitney Huston, as well as most of the others mentioned.

For me it's got to be Aretha Franklin then Dianna Ross, I love them old Motown tunes...

I was thinking Alice Cooper or Molly Hatchet. :eusa_dance:

Seriously though... Tori Amos, Natalie Merchant, Sarah McLachlan, or Chan Marshall (aka Cat Power). I can't pick just one.

Auto Transport Service
Back