• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best heads for a 440 Budget

madmike9396

Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
What is the best head i can put on my 440 ? it already has a purple shaft cam not sure on the specs but cuts up good. (my dad installed it)

Thanks to anyone with info

i think indy makes the best cylinder heads. how much do you look at spending

Yeah i have looked at Indy, Is there any stock type of head that flows better than another or better for porting, Is there someone that specializes in porting stock mopar heads ?

Conventional wisdom has it by the time you pay someone to port iron heads, you could buy a set of Edlebrock/Mopar/Source aluminum heads, get the same flow (if not better) and save the weight in the process.

Yeah i forgot they where iron im still stuck in the f body sceen lol, Ok so it would be better to just save up and get a nice set of indy heads

On a budget, I would say 440 source heads. They flow similar to edelbrocks and I believe they have a cnc ported head available as well.

indy ezs use normal rocker gear not offset which helps in a budget build

If you can get a deal on a used rebuilt set of iron heads with hard seats and good guides then just pocket port them and be done. Otherwise if you have to rebuild a set of iron heads from scratch then go with the 440 Source heads or equiv. The unported Source heads are $1000.00 and that's hard to beat.

Max Wedge heads for a budget build?? Is that the wacky tobacky talkin'??? Haha!!

If your just going to change the heads you need to think about compression, intake , exaust, cam shaft,etc... The best heads in the world will run like crap if not matched to the rest of the engine.

On a budget I would have my current heads redone. A good 3 angle valve job, guides, seals and springs. The purple shafts the .494 or .509 are good street cams and will work well with your stock heads. You could always do a cleanup on the bowl area and some template home porting. You can cut them .030 to bump the comp. up a 1/2 point. Anyway you look at it the power will be done around 6 grand +/- a few hundred rpm. I would do a some digging and find out the rest of specs on the mill and take it from there. Good luck, let the forum know how you end up.

Max Wedge heads for a budget build?? Is that the wacky tobacky talkin'??? Haha!!

Depends on the budget. But when it gets down to it, Maxies are hard to beat.

Also, if someone doesn't know what they're doing, it's pretty easy to totally ruin a set of heads by grinding on them.

Depends on the budget. But when it gets down to it, Maxies are hard to beat.

Also, if someone doesn't know what they're doing, it's pretty easy to totally ruin a set of heads by grinding on them.

Oh, I agree, but seems to me by the time you find them they will cost an arm and a leg. Now, if you have to pay someone to pocket port 906's or 915's then it may be a wash. I say time to get proficient in using a die grinder!!

A rebuilt set of iron heads even with pocket porting shouldn't run as much as new aluminum heads. IF the need for new valves comes in, then it gets close. You'll need to find a shop that can give you a price up front with the work defined and spelled out well of exactly what there doing to the head. This way, you can compare the prices.

For the most part, the amount of work the heads needs is also matched with what power level you seek. Knowing what cam is in there now is a big help.

From the on-line version of the Mopar Performance catalog:

BIG BLOCK CYLINDER HEADS, GASKETS, AND HARDWARE
A. Porting Templates
Die cut clear templates take the guesswork out of porting a set of
heads. Use to increase intake and exhaust flow as well as torque and
horsepower.
P4120437 Porting Template, 2.08"/1.74" Valve Size, Cast Iron
Head, Big Block Production Heads

Cheap way to add power to stock heads. I guess you could order them from a dealer. I couldn't find them at Mancini.

Auto Transport Service
Back