• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best option for Hemi intake gaskets AND valve seals

gtx6970

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Doing some diagnostic work .
Dug out a bore scope toy I picked up a few months back.
Sure enough, I have a sucked intake gasket in at least 2 places.
So, best option for Hemi intake gaskets recommendations please ???

And valve stem seals

Last edited:
Make sure the intake fits and is touching the gaskets all around the ports with the end seals out. Problems come up when things have been milled. Very sensitive to torque. So get an inch pound torque wrench, don't guess. See the sequence and torque chart in the service manual, don't guess.

Now torque it and wait for the gaskets to compress. Then repeat this about 4 times over 2 days until the torque holds steady.

@Runcharger taught me this, works like a charm!

Thanks.
Thats my plan. I already have an inch lb torque wrench
Got parts ordered this afternoon.

Carbs are in soaking bath right now. They were cruddy.

Might as well pull valve covers . Go thru the valves ... been a couple years since they were done.
AND Probably put valve seals in it while it's apart.

Started off as just a clean it and paint touchups project.

Turned into a week long ordeal.

I wouldn't mess with the valve seals unless they are really needed. You have to remove rocker arms and some head bolts and could affect head gaskets.

You want a stock type intake gasket, not the kind for racers with ported heads. There's very little meat left on the sides of those. And as said above, follow the recommended torque sequence and values. If you bring it down slowly you will have to repeat it over 10 times. And retorque it after every drive until it finds it's home. I know that sounds like a lot of hassle but you don't want another gasket problem. Give it your best.

I have all Cometic gaskets on my Hemi with no issues after several years now.

After some research I used Superformance intake gaskets on mine (.062”). I left my carbs off for several days and retorqued probably 7 or 8 times before they settled in and held torque. I was a rebel and politically incorrect and used cork end wall gaskets I fabricated after measuring the gaps. No leaks thus far.

Superformance Intake Gasket Set

Mr Gasket has 3 thick thickness' .0625, .090 and .125.

After some research I used Superformance intake gaskets on mine (.062”). I left my carbs off for several days and retorqued probably 7 or 8 times before they settled in and held torque. I was a rebel and politically incorrect and used cork end wall gaskets I fabricated after measuring the gaps. No leaks thus far.

Superformance Intake Gasket Set
Ive ordered a set of these, as well as a couple sets of valve covers gasket .
Im now into putting valve seals in it while its apart

Looking at seals , and there are A LOT of options out there for seals

Are these stock Hemi valve guides ??? I know these are NOT OEM valve guide seals

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

seal3.jpg

Hard to tell with the oil, but it looks like replacement guides that have been cut for the metal clad positive seal.

I dont think its had guides put in it( cant guarentee that though )

Its been together over 20 years now. And I want to replace the seals and go thru the valves while its opened up.

I thought I had a intake gasket sucked up and in. But once apart I dont think that was the case. But yet my intake valves are wet and oily . So next option is seals . worst case guides.

I only have the one spring of so far . And I can feel just the slightest bit of movement in the valve to guide . Whether it not its excessive or Ok IM not sure

If its guides I'll put new seals on it and button it back up to deal with at a later date . When I will actually pull the motor all the way down for a rebuild with new pistons , etc etc

Looks like the guides were machined for those white Perfect Circle seals. Seems like everyone likes the blue Viton seals now. .530 ID is a standard size.

Milodon hasn't had anything in stock for years. Strange way to run a business.

Are you using a pcv valve? If oil is passing through it, that could be the oil on your intakes. Happened on my small block, running an oil mist separator now, will see if that stops it.

Auto Transport Service
Back