• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blasting the Undercarriage - Stupid Question?

rt-man

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
The undercarriage of my '73 Satellite is generally scaly and cruddy. Not rusty, just scaly and grungy looking (pics forthcoming). Was thinking about going to a bead blaster to see if they'd blast the underside. If they cover the car, will sand get into the interior? I'm not looking to strip the car for this. Anybody have this done?

I don't think using a pressure washer would be effective, as this isn't caked-on mud or grime.

Thoughts?

sand gets everywhere and destroys stuff....... powerwash it real good and re-assess the situation

maybe rent a steamer

I would never blast an assembled car. It gets in every seal and destroys it, gets all through suspension bushings, in the vents, door seals... you name it. I've had some luck sealing parts but you almost have to silicone it shut, black tape works decent.... It has to be rubbery so media bounces off but it a gamble.

I would never blast an assembled car. It gets in every seal and destroys it, gets all through suspension bushings, in the vents, door seals... you name it. I've had some luck sealing parts but you almost have to silicone it shut, black tape works decent.... It has to be rubbery so media bounces off but it a gamble.

Thank you for all the replies. I get the idea.

The undercarriage of my '73 Satellite is generally scaly and cruddy. Not rusty, just scaly and grungy looking (pics forthcoming). Was thinking about going to a bead blaster to see if they'd blast the underside. If they cover the car, will sand get into the interior? I'm not looking to strip the car for this. Anybody have this done?

I don't think using a pressure washer would be effective, as this isn't caked-on mud or grime.

Thoughts?
If it's somewhat loose scale a good pressure washer may help. 3.5 to 4.0 GPM x 3500to 4000 psi not some wimpy thing. If you know anyone with a pressure with those spec's try it out. Renting is probably $60 or so a day, if it doesn't work does it hurt dollar wise?
The guys that say sand goes every where aren't kidding! I blasted the underside of my car. No engine, trans, fenders and gas tank. Left carpet in and knock plugs out under carpet. Rolled car on it's side had a bad quarter. For months when you jacked car up piles of sand would come out of frame rails. We use the gas power compressor that I rented with the sand blaster to blow it out before we painted it. Couldn't get it all out. Looked great!
1965 Dodge 011.JPG

If you can rent a steamer thats the way to go or at least a hot water pressure washer.

Agree, but are steamers high pressure? I'm not up on the spec's of them.

No the one I used was low pressure....maybe 10-15 lbs. A mechanic friend has one and he let me use it to clean my Ram 2500...came out looking like new!!!

I used a 3M drill attachment, scraper and heat on my 72.
Dsc05564_zps27itcslv.jpg

The whole floorpan basically looks like this, I was trying not to scratch it too much with the putty knife.
Dsc05565_zpsikchklov.jpg

Oven cleaner and hot water pressure
I've said this in a few threads but paint stripper and a power washer does a wonderful job, gotta be careful and wear proper PPE but boy does it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back