• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body filler seam sealer

velrob

Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
I am preparing to epoxy my car and had some questions. this is my first resto so want to do things correctly.

I patched two areas on the floor driver and passenger side. butt weld.

im trying to fill as many holes as possible but in any holes im unable to see i was wondering if i epoxied the floor and undercarriage then applied filler (on the undercarriage to hide the butt weld lines) followed my seal sealer on the floor would there be any issues ?

i will be spraying some sort of wax/oil in areas I cant reach where butt welds happened to prevent rusting. while i try to weld all holes as possible sometimes i may miss some and want to be cautious to prevent rusting or paint lifting.

thanks for any input.

I suggest a "rust converter" (not "rust remover") wherever you have a questionable area or surface rust after welding. Your idea is a decent one, but I would be afraid that bondo would crack & fall off as you walk on the floor of the car. Epoxy will do a better job for sure to use as your "bondo", but a pain to sand (very tough). One last thing, don't spray any oil/wax until the very end. Epoxy won't stick over even a tiny bit of that stuff. Otherwise, sounds like a good plan.

Hmm how can I hide the butt weld lines at bottom so it looks like it wasnt patched?

I'd definitely epoxy first presuming there's no rust, if there is rust buy a small spot blaster and clean it up. The benefit of doing epoxy first IMO is it will flow into smaller cracks, holes ECT and seal the metal. I see no problem at all skimming it with filler but keep it thin, 1/16" max and you should be fine. POR15 or Rust Bullet are 2 other options vs epoxy. The big thing here is taking the time to grind, sand and dolly the floor to the point that it needs very little to smooth.

What I did was epoxied everything then sprayed a textured 2 part bedliner in. The bedliner helps with the harmonic vibrations (noise) and won't scratch off easily like paint making it a great undercoating or floor finish. Also the texture hides little blemishes as well.

Hmm how can I hide the butt weld lines at bottom so it looks like it wasnt patched?

weld both sides, grind the side you want to look nice and put some filler on it.......

original pans here, with multiple repairs

IMG_20170416_022853_zps3waxvbke.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest a "rust converter" (not "rust remover") Epoxy will do a better job for sure to use as your "bondo", but a pain to sand (very tough). .

Use Southern Polyurethane Epoxy Primer. It sands very very easily. I used it more than the high build normal primer as a guide coat (goes on with a sheen so when you sand you can see the low spots)

Jim

heya thx for the input

i dont have a jig like yours so i have to do it on my hoist

i plan to paint some thermal/sound on top of the epoxy plug more epoxy on top of that

there wont be much filler as it wont be a show car i jsut want it to look decent and plug as many holes as possible from welding

theres no rust the entire rusted area was cut out then the new patch panel was put in from sherman on driver and passenger side

You have a hoist ... put a trouble light in the car, raise it up, turn off the shop lights and look under the car to see where the light shines through. Weld up any holes that aren't supposed to be there. Fillers are not meant for filling holes.

Well I can see if it's a nut and bolt deal
1of 1 hemi car that probably will never see the road then hell yeah make it spotless but as a driver there's no sense paint chips easily!

of course trying to minimize amount of holes using lights

but yea itll be a driver not daily driver of course

i dont like spraying undercoating cept in wheel wells

of course trying to minimize amount of holes using lights

but yea itll be a driver not daily driver of course

i dont like spraying undercoating cept in wheel wells

What about polyurea or polyurethane truck bed liner???

if i ever need to work somewhere its a PITA to remove that stuff the LineX stuff or undercoating

this is my logic

but maybe i should apply some sort of lineX. again just trying to think what could go wrong or if i did spray that stuff and later sold the car the buyer may think i was trying to hide something?

again just trying to think what could go wrong or if i did spray that stuff and later sold the car the buyer may think i was trying to hide something?

lol........ you are trying to hide something

I'd smooth the welds out a bit and use actual undercoating, not the gooey crap in the aerosol can......

worried what a buyer might think? just be honest.

lol i mean hide by painting undercoating over rust.

all the rust is gone. i guess ill take pictures as well

will i need a special gun to spray actual undercoating or can i use the same gun i use to prime?

ah great i will try to find that locally (in canada)

i read some comments about it not getting hard is that true?

Auto Transport Service
Back