• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body Plugs: To seal or not to seal , that is the question!

idrivemopar

Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Anyone that has replaced the floor pan and trunk pan body plugs, did you use any sealant on them? Not so conserned about the rubber ones, but the few that are plastic, i was wondering if any sort of sealant was used? the only ones i am certain about are the two metal ones on the rear floor pan.

I work in a paint shop in the prep area. We build new cars, and after we put the floor plugs in we seal over them on top of the plug area. The plug mealts in place and the liquid seal hardens on top of it all, while the paint bakes in the oven. Of course these are new vehicles but I like the process. It blocks out the water and helps with noise reduction.

I cut out steel plugs and weld them in.......and I never use undercoating or bed liner. May not be correct but that's the way I build my cars.

I just put the plugs where they go and move on.

If it makes you feel better, you can run a small bead of silicone around the bottom before you install it, but personally I wouldn't bother.

I don't seal them either... I honestly have never noticed any rust steming out from body plugs in the cars i've worked on. If moisture/water was seeping in at them, there would be corrosion issues.

Maybe a stupid question, but what 'dynamat' type insulation? Before or after you've plugged? Did you cut the circles out for the plugs?

I cut around the plugs AFTER the dynamat was installed.

Auto Transport Service
Back