• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought these headers

fwi

Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
Picked up these Hooker Competition headers today, lot of surface rust, what is the best way to clean these up?
20170829_121829_resized.jpg

I have no idea if it will work but, yesterday I read that a soak in WATER for maybe a week or so and the rust will wash off! What do you have to lose?
If you do try this please let us know.
Mike

I've had two sets of headers in recent years - blasted and painted with POR15 - works for me. :thumbsup:
My Dodge A100 during rebuild....
upload_2017-8-30_22-6-46.png

Last edited:
A good blasting is best. But not allways the easiest to find a place that can/will do it.
At home, a wire wheel on a cordless drill and big and small hand brushes will do. Then you will need some type of rust converter. POR15 metal ready?
(I don't know what is a good product for this. Sorry.)
Then high temp paint after the header is rewashed of the dust and dry.

blast em....... any thin spots will blow out, better to find out now rather than later

I did the wire wheel and sandpaper on a previous set but this one is a lot crustier. I will try to find a place to have them blasted. Thanks for all the replies.

Auto Transport Service
Back