• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Pedal Almost to Floor

darc1722

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
On to my next issue, 1969 Roadrunner 4 Speed, power brake pedal very close to floor and not even with clutch pedal, off by couple inches (manual shows them even). Brakes seem to work fine (disc front/drum rear) but I can't even pull the pedal all the way up, stuck about inch or so from floorboard. Could it be the booster/master cylinder as it seems to not return pedal to correct position. Checked Linkage seems fine but unable to push plunger in to booster so pedal would return to a home position. No leaks noticed, let me know your thoughts, thanks.

IMG_2079 (1).JPG

Fluid level?

Correct pushrod?

Does it have a return spring?

Lastly, is the MC leaking into the booster?

Not an expert by any means but brainstorming here:

If you're unable to push plunger into booster, wouldn't that be a booster issue? What would the plunger/booster do if there were no issues?

Vacuum issue (too much/little)?

Set peddle into position & then re-hook up?

If you can't pull the pedal to the right height something in the pedal linkage is binding not allowing return or the linkage to booster is mis-set. Do brakes lights stay on? Were the brakes just worked on or conversion? You say brakes work fine that would indicate no issues with bleeding or vacuum.

Thanks I have a lot of things to look at, going to remove booster and check. Pedal linkage doesn't appear to be bad although there seems to be an issue with booster linkage rod not returning to home position.

For sure pull the master from the booster to see if its piddling back there which would get pulled out by the engine vacume. I checked out an early fire chicken at work today which had low pedal yesterday and no pedal when it got moved today. Master is fine, both rh wheel cylinders are leaking, all 3 hoses are ugly, drums were past spec on new shoes installed by previous owner which made the manual adjusters screw out too far, rear shoes both sides installed wrong with both leading edge shoes on on side of car and trailing edge shoes on the other, intermediate e-brake cable frayed and ready to break. Do a full front to back inspection of the brake plumbing to seek out leaks.

I think if there is a leak that pedal should still be up to its proper position. Id suspect a booster/master issue, linkage,return spring. However now would be the time to pull all drums and check those brake cylinders for leakage as well as all three hoses, fittings,lines, everything

Auto Transport Service
Back