• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a RV 440

The ad says those 915's need a rebuild, so imho they get you no closer to your goal than your 452's, especially since this pistons gotta go either way.

I'd replace the pistons with one of the above KB's and either rebuild your 452's or go aluminum depending on your performance goals. I'm using the 440 source heads box stock. Checked out OK by my machinist and the springs work with my lunati cam. $999 delivered and with a them, my 451 really hauls the mail.

The 440 source heads may be OK. My buddy had one break in halve. EDE or Indy seem to be more durable. Maybe 440 Source have gotten quality control in line.

The 440 source heads may be OK. My buddy had one break in halve. EDE or Indy seem to be more durable. Maybe 440 Source have gotten quality control in line.

Agreed, the valves are Chinese stainless, no doubt lesser quality than Ede and not even the same conversation as Indy. But for a street car with mild performance goals, imho, worth consideration.

$400 for 915 cores is way too much unless you are building a 67 matching number car
I said I'd give you a set - but they are not a bargain when you consider they need hard exhaust seats- i recommend the dura bond sintered ones- guides and all new valves and springs I may have a set with guides and seats all done up- but not free :)
You still have the lousey spark plug location and no water around the plug (all 440 except for some 452's that have a couple of little bulges next to the plugs that are drilled for water- not near as good as 3/4 reach plugs in a modern nead
So - get some templates and port your 452's but if they need seats and guides keep looking for some aftermarket heads

$400 for 915 cores is way too much unless you are building a 67 matching number car
I said I'd give you a set - but they are not a bargain when you consider they need hard exhaust seats- i recommend the dura bond sintered ones- guides and all new valves and springs I may have a set with guides and seats all done up- but not free :)
You still have the lousey spark plug location and no water around the plug (all 440 except for some 452's that have a couple of little bulges next to the plugs that are drilled for water- not near as good as 3/4 reach plugs in a modern nead
So - get some templates and port your 452's but if they need seats and guides keep looking for some aftermarket heads

so an update looks like the 318 isnt dead yet... the issue was a loose torque converter bolt. But this removes the time and some of the budget constraints on this build. So my current plan is to start collecting parts to rebuild the engine. Wyrmrider where do I get a good template for the 452's? Still not totally decided between the stock heads or aftermarket aluminum.

So my current plan is to start collecting parts to rebuild the engine. Wyrmrider where do I get a good template for the 452's?
My 68 Polara has is in the same condition
I think MOPAR performance still has the templates
P4120437 work for the 452 heads
If you can rough in the new valve job with steep bottom angle cutter then blend
blending actually gets most of the way you want to go
lots of comments around on porting these heads
as all say- leave the short side alone except for removing obvious problems
do check your guides and see if they valves have been sunk if you were lucky the motor still had steel shim gaskets so you know it had never been apart- well almost for sure
obviously if you need guides you need to do them first. I'd just K line them with the spiral knurl option.
Replacing the whole guide is a real bitch as the factory bores after installation- so your concentricity will be way off as the valve hole is not bored concentric with the guide- or they may be bored directly in the casting

Let’s pump the brakes here a bit. Even after hacking on your first set of heads, they’ll still need a rebuild. Unless you’re married to those heads, no reason to invest in them. I’d call these guys... $500 for bolt on iron heads with good springs.

http://www.aeroheadracing.com/chrysler.html

Let’s pump the brakes here a bit. Even after hacking on your first set of heads, they’ll still need a rebuild. Unless you’re married to those heads, no reason to invest in them. I’d call these guys... $500 for bolt on iron heads with good springs.

http://www.aeroheadracing.com/chrysler.html

Let's see Iron cores are practically free so 500 for guides, seats, springs and a valve job?
He has quality valves with real industrial hard chrome stems- not flash chrome with no brass first dip like the offshore cheapies- chrome does not stick to steel. Brass Nickle, grind stems, chrome-od hone Nickel does most of the work
All the flash chrome is good for is rust prevention
you have to do the guides and seats first
ever deal with Indy cylinder heads direct?
What does everyone pay for guides and seats?
and whose seats- muffler tubeing called "chrome molly?

Let's see Iron cores are practically free so 500 for guides, seats, springs and a valve job?
He has quality valves with real industrial hard chrome stems- not flash chrome with no brass first dip like the offshore cheapies- chrome does not stick to steel. Brass Nickle, grind stems, chrome-od hone Nickel does most of the work
All the flash chrome is good for is rust prevention
you have to do the guides and seats first
ever deal with Indy cylinder heads direct?
What does everyone pay for guides and seats?
and whose seats- muffler tubeing called "chrome molly?

I hear ya, and I respect your opinion. I just don’t know about suggesting to a stranger that porting their first set of heads on their first big block is a viable solution. Seems a bit beyond.

But yeah, $500 for done iron heads with the right springs and hardware, yeah that’s the ballpark at least here in the NE. Honestly, maybe more. If that mild 440 is the end of it, maybe investing in iron is the way to go. But after that’s spent, those heads will need at least another $500, probably closer to $800 or more, in porting to match the edelbrock EStreets or even the 440 source.

To the OP, you said the budget freed up a bit? Maybe edelbrock e-streets are the ticket. I’m happy with my out of the box 440source. Machinist checked mine out and all looked good, but the springs needed some love as the seat pressures / installed heights were all over the place.

Last edited:
Edelbrock or any of them- and I'd say especially the cast iron you gotta go through them
I OD hone all the valves and rehone the guides till they feel right
I've found valve job concentricity all over the place too, some do not even pass the "hold coloured alcohol" test
depends on what around for a machine shop if you should get them bare and specify your own valves and springs- and keepers
but like I said- he has the best valves money can buy (for a hyd not high spring pressure roller- they have inconel heads on the exhausts and the intakes are SIL XB with hard chrome stems
I don't have a problem with a new person blending bowls- just remember less is more but you are correct that stock Aluminum flow better than mid ported iron- and shhhh they are lighter

Yes since the budget has eased up I'm thinking about saving for some aluminum heads.

New style heads are an advantage.IMHO all the aftermarket heads need an experienced builder to evaluate the valve job & guides. Take the needed updates.

Auto Transport Service
Back