• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca you pass the 8th grade math test?

SteveSS

Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
Even though I made through Calculus III I have to bone up a bit to pass the standardized 8th grade math test. That test has been in the news lately. I think I was just 3 credit hours away form having a minor in mathematics.

Math is just a game. If you know the rules it's easy. i think the only math I used in real life was algebra but knowing how to cross multiply is the most useful skill.

Example: You're in an airliner flying across the great plains. You know that farm land is broken up into square miles, 640 acres. Using the second hand of your watch you see you travel 1 mile (1 farm section) in 12 seconds. 3,600 seconds in an hour divided by 12 seconds=300 mph. It's cool way to guesstimate your mph while in your plane seat. Go tell the flight attendant you think you're doing 300 mph and ask the captain if you're right. A lot of watches have a tachymeter (not a tachometer) on the dial that does the math for you.

Math is cool, but I could ever apply calculus. I took the dummy's version of physics based on trig and my son never let's me forget the calc. version is for smart people.

tach.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hell, I can GUESS and get 80% correct !!

Auto Transport Service
Back