• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam recommendations for '63 Max Wedge resto

LowDeck451

Local time
9:15 AM
Reaction score
Starting a 426 Max Wedge engine build project for my brother's car, and was looking for thoughts on camshaft choice. We are looking for a mechanical cam similar to the original, and wondering if there is an off the shelf cam with similar duration, lift etc. The engine is an 11:1 version, w/ 3 speed manual trans. I myself, am wondering if the Mopar .528 would be a good choice, referring to the Andy F article on how well that cam worked with exhaust manifolds but, open to suggestions. Thanks!

the mopar 528 would be a good choice but i wouldn't do the .028"/.032" lash. the original cams had long durations with slow ramp, wide LSA, with a couple of degrees of retard. they weren't hot cams.

the engle k65 is similar to the old 300/.509" '62-'63 cam. i run one in my '65 coronet. it's not radical, easy to maintain, and drives pretty good in a 3.23 geared automatic trans car.

crane markets something they call a replacement but i think it's too radical for a replacement cam.

The .528 mechanical MP cam looks large on paper but doesn't have much lope at all in an oherwise stock 440. It's a nice cruiser cam and has great low end torque! As said, lash recommendations are a little high. I lashed it at .020 intake and exhaust and it worked fine.

Personally, I'd run something similar to the specs of the MP .557.

The .528 mechanical MP cam looks large on paper but doesn't have much lope at all in an oherwise stock 440. It's a nice cruiser cam and has great low end torque! As said, lash recommendations are a little high. I lashed it at .020 intake and exhaust and it worked fine.

Personally, I'd run something similar to the specs of the MP .557.
Actually thats what I was going to say as I have run the MP .557 cam in about 4 different cars and it works good for what it is and has a nice slightly lopey idle but is smooth enough that it works good with most all carbs and makes ok power. I have never been unhappy with it in the mild builds I used it in. They were all in the 9.5 to 10.8 comp range and all the engines used headers. They say the MP .528 does work good when you run stock exh manifolds but as was said it does not sound very choppy if you like that kind of idle. I remember my buddy had the MP .528 in his 440 car and he always complained that my 383 with the Hyd MP .484 cam sounded much choppier then his eng. Good luck with the build , Ron

Actually thats what I was going to say as I have run the MP .557 cam in about 4 different cars and it works good for what it is and has a nice slightly lopey idle but is smooth enough that it works good with most all carbs and makes ok power. I have never been unhappy with it in the mild builds I used it in. They were all in the 9.5 to 10.8 comp range and all the engines used headers. They say the MP .528 does work good when you run stock exh manifolds but as was said it does not sound very choppy if you like that kind of idle. I remember my buddy had the MP .528 in his 440 car and he always complained that my 383 with the Hyd MP .484 cam sounded much choppier then his eng. Good luck with the build , Ron
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't make it clear in my OP (my fault!) that this car is a restoration, will not be raced, and that we are looking for a cam that is 'similar' to the original. I ask because my searches for '63 Max Wedge cam specs have only shown - .509 lift, 300 duration. All good info though, and I do appreciate your time/comments, thanks guys.

Actually the MP .557 has 296 advertised duration which is close to the 300 advertised duration of the Max Wedge cam. I believe thats the Stage II cam you listed but not positive. But the duration and overlap (LSA) is what gives the most sound and rump rump in the idle. The .557 is pretty close to that cam other then .047 more lift but with advertised duration so close they may sound close to each other. I dont know the LSA of the Max Wedge cam as back then they did not give that spec as they gave the overlap spec. But if you dont find a closer cam I think the .557 would sound very close to how the original Max Wedge cam sounds. Good luck as I hope you find the cam you want. Ron

Actually the MP .557 has 296 advertised duration which is close to the 300 advertised duration of the Max Wedge cam. I believe thats the Stage II cam you listed but not positive. But the duration and overlap (LSA) is what gives the most sound and rump rump in the idle. The .557 is pretty close to that cam other then .047 more lift but with advertised duration so close they may sound close to each other. I dont know the LSA of the Max Wedge cam as back then they did not give that spec as they gave the overlap spec. But if you dont find a closer cam I think the .557 would sound very close to how the original Max Wedge cam sounds. Good luck as I hope you find the cam you want. Ron
Thanks Ron.

the original cams were probably close to 235 degrees at .050". they were pretty gentle, not lopey, and quiet; or at least the one had back in the day was (308/.520 cam). the .557 cam ([email protected]") is almost identical to the racer brown stx21. back in the day this was the race automatic trans cam; much more cam than the 300/.509". the old cams had long closing ramps, wider LSA vs the modern cams and may have been better suited for cast iron exhaust manifolds and more restrictive mufflers. there may be someone who can duplicate a factory cam; clay smith engineering. i definitely wouldn't do any kind of "cheater" cam, and think something like the engle k65 ([email protected]"/.510 lift) is about as close to a shelf grind duplicate as you'll get.

the original cams were probably close to 235 degrees at .050". they were pretty gentle, not lopey, and quiet; or at least the one had back in the day was (308/.520 cam). the .557 cam ([email protected]") is almost identical to the racer brown stx21. back in the day this was the race automatic trans cam; much more cam than the 300/.509". the old cams had long closing ramps, wider LSA vs the modern cams and may have been better suited for cast iron exhaust manifolds and more restrictive mufflers. there may be someone who can duplicate a factory cam; clay smith engineering. i definitely wouldn't do any kind of "cheater" cam, and think something like the engle k65 ([email protected]"/.510 lift) is about as close to a shelf grind duplicate as you'll get.
Thanks lewtot184, good info there too. Yeah, definitely no 'cheater cam' stuff!

I thought I had heard the MP .557 was about 244 @ .050 ? I never actually checked one and to me its just dont sound real lumpy as I have ran it in a few cars. Maybe I am just used to it as I had it in my old 440 and in my sons 400 and it sounds nice but not what I would call nasty sounding. Where did you get the 255 @ .050 spec if you dont mind me asking ? Did you actually check one or did someone else you know check one ? Honestly alot of the MP .509 cams sounds lumpier then the .557 in some cars to me. I dont know the @ .050 for the older MP cams but I believe the .509 is 292 advertised vs 296 for the .557 ? We used to joke around and call the MP .509 the hydraulic .557 since if you take away the .028 valve adjustment MP calls for on the .557 you end up around .529 lift. I actually like the .509 in the right combo as it sounds like more cam then it is to me when I go by how it sounds and idles. Thanks , Ron

I have a racer brown 276@ .050 with . 570/.608 lift on a 106 LSA ..anyone tell me how this would work on a 13.5:1 comp?

i've ran a degree wheel on the .557 cam. they are between [email protected]". i like the .557, but wouldn't use it in a resto. a good part of the .509's lumpyness is the hydraulic tappet and that's a good enough reason for me to avoid big hydraulic cams. the .028"-.032" mopar lash thingy doesn't make sense to me since mopar never designed any their cams. the 528 and 557 would be better served with something in the .020"-.022" lash range. the old factory max wedge cams had a closing ramp that was designed for the looser lash. the later mopar cams don't have those closing ramps. the k65 i refer to does have a long closing ramp like the originals and when lashed to the recommended .018"-.020" hot is as quiet as a performance hydraulic. the k65 .050" and .200" duration numbers are nearly identical to the 284/484 hydraulic but without any of the bad manners of the hydraulic tappet.

i've ran a degree wheel on the .557 cam. they are between [email protected]". i like the .557, but wouldn't use it in a resto. a good part of the .509's lumpyness is the hydraulic tappet and that's a good enough reason for me to avoid big hydraulic cams. the .028"-.032" mopar lash thingy doesn't make sense to me since mopar never designed any their cams. the 528 and 557 would be better served with something in the .020"-.022" lash range. the old factory max wedge cams had a closing ramp that was designed for the looser lash. the later mopar cams don't have those closing ramps. the k65 i refer to does have a long closing ramp like the originals and when lashed to the recommended .018"-.020" hot is as quiet as a performance hydraulic. the k65 .050" and .200" duration numbers are nearly identical to the 284/484 hydraulic but without any of the bad manners of the hydraulic tappet.

Thanks for your reply. I agree about the lash as I ran my .557 at .024 and I liked running it there. Speaking of the hydraulic MP cams I wonder about that .533 Hydraulic am MP list as I have never seen anyone run it but it does not sound like a very street friendly cam when I look at the specs. And when I look at te specs I can see why I have not ever seen anyone use it. Ron

Thanks for your reply. I agree about the lash as I ran my .557 at .024 and I liked running it there. Speaking of the hydraulic MP cams I wonder about that .533 Hydraulic am MP list as I have never seen anyone run it but it does not sound like a very street friendly cam when I look at the specs. And when I look at te specs I can see why I have not ever seen anyone use it. Ron
i don't understand why big hydraulics are even made. maybe in a big stroker engine,....? mechanical cams are far more versatile.

i don't understand why big hydraulics are even made. maybe in a big stroker engine,....? mechanical cams are far more versatile.
Quiet operation in a street car.
I run a hydraulic roller and it acts like a stock type cam.
I've ran solids too, it just depends on owners preference.

I would do a hydraulic roller.
Lots of expense snd extra effort but worth it IMO!
Don't forget the added cost of a oil pump drive gear. I used the Crane composite, and the fuel pump pushrod if you run a mechanical pump. Lots of little things but it adds up!

Auto Transport Service
Back