• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft recommendations for 440 charger stunt car

Stunt Lee

Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
General Lee stunt car build...

So the shop just told me I've got a couple lifters sticking and some scoring on my camshaft. I'm looking for recommendations on what to replace it with since I'm still new to Mopar. The engine was built by the previous owner when they made it into a GL and the details of the build are limited. Here's what I know that was done.

440 10.5:1 compression
Flat top pistons
balanced
Mopar Performance Purpleshaft cam 292 Duration 509 Lift
2.14 intake valves, 1.81 exhaust valves
hardened seats on both intake and exhaust valves
roller rockers
ported heads
Indy intake manifold
Hooked Super Comp headers
Flowmaster 3" dual exhaust

Since then, I've converted it to fuel inject with the FiTech 800hp Meanstreet EFI kit. I've also had the 727 swapped out for a T56 magnum and done the full RMS alterkation in the front among other things. The car is being built for stunt driving. Drifting, sliding, driving on 2 wheels.... yes really. I'd love to run 93 Octane and have great drivability with great low end torque and quick revs. Peak HP at super high RPM's isn't as important. 500HP to the wheels would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Well, for low-end, maybe step down the 284/484 purple cam or equivalent? The 292/509 cam is a pretty "top end" cam (for a basic hydraulic). Maybe even go down 2-steps to the 271/471 (???) "hemi-grind" or equivalent?

Auto Transport Service
Back